Thursday, March 31, 2005

Looking for the Colors of Spring - 3

The Return Trip
On Sunday morning I woke up with a sense of dejection for the fact that this was the last day of the vacation. The weather too was a bit glum as there was a forecast of rainfall. It was decided that staying further in Asheville was of no use due to the weather, but we should head back and maybe stop somewhere on the way where the weather might be better. We made a few calls to some river rafting companies, but the one that was on our route was closed. Another one a bit further away was open, but they started in the afternoon and we didnt have enough time to wait till then. We started our journey back and on the way we stopped at any rafting places we saw. Unfortunately most of them hadnt even opened for the season and some of them that were open were closed as it was Sunday.

We moved on, V being the driver and me the navigator. After scanning the map for possible places to visit, we decided upon Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge in Tennessee. Me and V had already been there during the fall season last year, but we didnt mind going again. These two towns are close to each other and located at the foot hills of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park on the Tennessee side. Gatlinburg is a lovely, lively, quaint little town and the main street is full of small local shops. You could spend hours just exploring these shops. The last time we had been there, we had booked a cabin at the top of one of the steep roads leading to the top of the mountain. The mountain around these two towns are dotted with these log cabins which you can rent. Staying in such a cabin is one of the best experiences I ever had. The creepiness of being in an isolated cabin in the midst of a forest infested with bears... mixed with the sense of excitement and adventurousness...the whole experience is awesome. Reminds you of movies like Wrong Turn

Last time we had been there during Halloween so the entire town was decorated with huge pumpkins, straws and scarecrows. This time around the town was decorated with huge colourful easter eggs and chocolate bunnies. We roamed around Gatlinburg for some hours...again clicked lots of pictures and set off after lunch. We just passed through Pigeon Forge and didnt stop. Pigeon Forge is like a small Orlando with lots of small activity parks and shows. They have everything from Nasscar go-kart track to Chinese acrobats to Ripley's Believe It or Not. I guess the most famous of all is Dollywood. Yes, you read it right , they have Dollywood!! Its a kind of amusement/theme park solely dedicated to the famous country singer Dolly Parton. This is her home town and she often visits and performs there.

N drove on the way back while me and V slept. V had been driving all the while and the night before was awake till 3am connected to his office network and working. The journey back was uneventful. We had to make a stop in Louisville to return the rental car and get out own cars. It was raining heavily in Louisville and all the way till Columbus making it difficult to drive in the dark. We had a burger at Mc Donald's and came back home. Watched TV for some time and then went off to sleep with a heavy heart for the fact that the next day I would have to wake up early and drive 1 hr to work.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never done river-rafting but this is one thing I wanna try soon. There are few river-rafting places in Mainland but then when we went their the last time, they were closed too due to winter season. There are no river-rafting on Island...well...coz...there are no rivers on the Island....DUH...

I love going to small towns and exploring, sounds so much fun. We also once rented a log-cabin on Salt-Spring Island, it was so much exciting.

I am glad you had fun on the trip...even if some places were not so flowery, I am sure being with V made up for it...;)

Colors said...

Hey Ricky...river rafting is fun! You really should do it. Though I am not a 'water person' I still had a whale of a time. Put it in your 'to-do' list for this summer :)

Colors said...

Kaush...:):) for liking it. Guess what...one of my good friend actually got admission in the Duke Univ and she'll be coming there later this year :)

Deepak Jeswal said...

@RICKY --> if u wanna do river rafting and all, yahan aa jaao, it will be more fun with the Himalayas around ;-)


@COLORS --> great write up, and a wonderful trip...and its always the last day of the hol that is bad coz u know u got to go to office the next day .

The log cabin and all reminded me of the resort that i stayed in Paro (Bhutan) ... they had independent cottages, and the one that i took, overlooked a forest! It was quite an exp standing on the porch looking at the dark forest in the biting December winters of Bhutan!

So, what's next planned?

Colors said...

DJ..thanks! Next plan...? Well am not a planning kinda person...everything happens on the fly... :) Since Spring is here now..there sure will be plentiful of trips :):):)

Colors said...

DJ/Ricky....you wanna river raft under the Himalayas? Then you should go to Sikkim and try white water rafting in the Teesta river and go hiking on the trails at Dzongri :-)
Anyway DJ, Sikkim is long due in your list of 'to visit'

Nupur said...

waahh!!
Must have been good fun. And like Ricky n Kaush I put my hand up too for water-rafting. And I know that NewZealand has an amazing river where its soo much fun!!! I have seen the pics and seen it on TV, now all that remains is seeing it in person.

And would love to visit Sikkim sometime too.... another place added to me must-see list.

Anonymous said...

@ Kaush---> Aap bas program he banate rehna, kabhi amal bhi kar leeya karo plan pe...he he. Anyways, your US has rejected my visa two times, so you will have to come up here.

@Colors--->I have no problems with river-rafting but I don't know swimming only floating...chalega...ha ha. Please I don't wanna have a "whale" of a time in water...

@DJ--->Himalaya ke godh main, par yeh Himalaya hain kaun, Bhagayashree ka husband...sorry PJ.

@Colors--->You and your sikkim...lol. I have been to shillong though..:)

@Nupur--->I will visit New Zealand in few years, I hope. I have my best cousin there. Hope to see you there then...

wise donkey said...

The creepiness of being in an isolated cabin in the midst of a forest infested with bears- oooooooooooooooooooooooooh

Anonymous said...

ok i have been following the travelogue and commenting here..looks liek u had a ncie time and welel the last day is always like "y shud it end so fast.."..
oo guys u talkin abt rafting.. well here in bangalore we don have one's like that.. may b i shud try goin up to sikkim.. if not australia :)

Colors said...

KAUSH!! U have been to Gangtok and u didnt tell me!! How could u?!! But wow...thats so cool..i mean u've been to my state and me to urs :-). The next time u plan to visit Skm, make sure u let me know!

Colors said...

Nupur...Australia and New Zealand is also in my 'must visit' list. Just that I dunno when will I ever get to visit these beautiful places...
As for rafting...thats cool...hope u get to do it soon..and do lemme know! Dont fall off the boat though! :-)

Colors said...

Ricky...i'll let u in a lil secret...I dont even know how to float...leave alone swim!!! I m damn scared of water...i panic if the water level rises above my waist! I was so scared all the time that I might fall off the raft!

Colors said...

Gaya...hehe. But u know it has its romantic side too...which over rides the creepiness. :-)

Colors said...

Chandu..river rafting is funn...and yes yes..do visit Sikkim..u wont regret it.. :-)

Requiem for a Dream said...

Hey awesome co incidence....me was there at smokies and gatlinburgh for spring break....
although..we didnt get a cabin...we camped and had awesome fun...we were waiting for a yogi to come along,but only had a booboo waiting for him....
river rafting at the pigeon river was fun.....
random co incidences...
cheerio
pankaj

Anonymous said...

BUHAHAHHHHHHHHAAAAA. You did'nt do yourself a favor by telling me your little secret.

Anonymous said...

So you are enjoying very much. Nice Travelogue. Color you maybe know that Nepal is also famous for water rafting :). Coming late but not too late. Posted in your holi post too :)~ Rhicha

Colors said...

Hi Pankaj..wow, camping must be equally fun! U know the last time we went to Smokies, a mama bear and 2 baby bears decided to pay us a visit. It was so cool...they were right outside our cabin!!

Colors said...

Ricky...its an open secret...u cant do much harm to me knowing it :P

Colors said...

Rhicha...thanks! Yes, Nepal is of course a haven for such adventure sports. Too sad I wasnt interested in such stuffs when I was in that side of the world.