Friday, March 11, 2005

Fancy That!!

The other day me and V had gone to White Castle for dinner. They had a poster of "Kumar and Harold goes to White Castle" and we were talking abt it when the girl behind the counter asked us where were we from. When V said we are from India, she said, "Oh I have a friend from India". We just smiled politely and gave approriate expression as that is not a big deal even for a small town like Columbus. She then continued, "I have a friend from Nepal too". On hearing that, me and V were pretty surprised and became visibly excited and suddenly very friendly and chatty :-) V told her I am from Nepal and she gave me all the details. It seems the nepali girl is her 9th std classmate and had recently moved to Columbus with her entire family. Her dad and his 2 brothers and their family had all moved in (18 in all to be precise - as I said she gave me all the details!).

Since then I have been bugging V saying that now even I can form a 'Nepali Association', have nepali gatherings on Friday evenings and have yummy Nepali food. You see, the Mallu community in Columbus do that and whenever V goes for such dinners and gatherings, I feel so J and get bored and miss him. Anyway, I have asked a friend of mine who is the member of the Indian Association (and hence has lots of desi contacts) to help me find them out. Actually, I also checked out Yahoo People Search and have found out an address matching to the name (provided by the White Castle girl). Its now just the matter of me walking up and knocking at their door and introducing myself. Sigh! Wish it was so easy....lets see when I can get to meet them... and what happens after that.

22 comments:

fursat said...

Hey Colors,

Ha Ha Nepal Association. It's weird that you don't know any nepalis there coz it seems they are everywhere, even in a small town like mine. I have a loads of nepali friends though don't mind since we Indians are in majority, so we tend to tease them a lot.

Why don't you goto Mallu Assoc. with V, maybe you will learn some good Mallu.

By the way it seems you have all the plans to stalk the whole Nepali family...ha ha

I will wait for the update...;)

Colors said...

Hey Ricky
Well, yes, Nepalese r in minority and to find someone from Sikkim....almost impossible!!! Atleast in Pune there were a few...but here...

Anyway...how can I go to Mallu Assoc with V...am not a Mallu... :P Maybe after marriage ;-)

As for the Nepali family :-D I am just waiting for a chance to meet them ;-). Will surely let u know.

Anonymous said...

do let us know how meeting with the nepali family go!

Moonie
http://moonietheloonie.rediffblogs.com

Anonymous said...

So when are you planning to get married and goto Mallu Asso with V ?

boomerang <-:

Deepak Jeswal said...

Well, there is a site for Non resident nepalis:

http://www.nrn.org.np

Plus, u can find out from other states as well... eg ohio as a good nepali association.

http://www.naoo.org/

The following site is of Association of Nepalis in Midwest America:

http://www.anmausa.org/

They hv contact details...i m sure they will help to find out for Columbus/Indy as well...

Anonymous said...

so did you meet the nepali family maybe you can get to have gundruk and mula ra churpiko achaar and basti ko chaamal ko bhaat......im drooling over the keyboard ...prabha

Anonymous said...

and since V is a mallu you could watch some mallu movies with him they are really good though the awefully fat heros will bother you in the beginning ...mohanlals my favourite...and have u tasted aappams yummy

Nupur said...

OWW!!!
I have 3 Nepalese friends too. Luna, Shabnam and Sushma. :)

And guess what...they are like the leaders if the Nepalese Association here. Those 3 chicks are sooo into all that. They organise their Nepalese dinners, parties and get-togethers..etc.

I get J at times... coz we have Indian nights n all too... but the crowd is so rowdy and the boy-girl ratio sooo sad that its not worth going!! :(

Anonymous said...

tabs:hey i can teach u mallu....coz im one :)

Gaurav said...

So now madam is all gunning up for Nepali Association!!
Good!

Anonymous said...

so the comments box is working..uff. so nepali association.. & how abt u being prez.. hey do update what happened after knocking the door..

Anonymous said...

Hi Color, so going to make a group of NRN :). Hope you will have nice time :) Rhicha

Colors said...

Hi Moonie, welcome to my blog. Am yet to meet them but will definitely write a post when I do :-)

Colors said...

Boomerang...why the hurry? U have a link to ur page?

Colors said...

DJ, thanks for the links :-)

Colors said...

Hi Prabha.
Hehe...u know I once made gundruk and fed V. He was like "if not for the smell I would love this" Hahaha. I told him he'll have to live with it plus other items like 'tama' , 'sidhra' etc.

No, am yet to watch a mallu movie. and yes, I love appams and payassam

Colors said...

Nupur... I know ... I used to feel J too...a lot initially but now after all these yrs I am kinda used to being the only one of the community.

Colors said...

Hi Tabs,
Welcome to my blog :-)
Yes, I might need ur help in Mallu and also some recipes. I am an aweful learner of new languages. V has picked up Nepali quite well, and all I have learnt till now is "Ninne enikku ishtamaanu" and "po" :-)

Colors said...

Gaurav,
LOL...not gunning up..oooh i actually dont like this asso business..just thot it'd be nice to meet someone from the same culture n language :-)

Colors said...

SS,
U thot right. I am from Sikkim but my ancestors were Nepalese. Sikkim majorly has Nepali, Tibetian and Lepcha population. My mother tongue is Nepali and we still follow the same culture

Colors said...

Chandu,
:-) Haha...no nepali asso in the near future. Was just kidding. And me a prez??!! Definitely no! But will sure let u know when and if I get to meet them!

Colors said...

Hi Rhicha,
:-) It would really look funny to make an asso consisiting of 2 nepali families. Me - one family (and who is not even a Nepali citizen) and them the other one. Since all of them belong to one huge family :-)