Friday, February 23, 2007

V-Day and V-weekend

After the eventful Sunday mentioned in my previous post, my next weekend was very normal. Even my Valentine's Day was quite normal. Since V is about 160 miles away and V-day fell in the middle of the week, we didn't have much option but to talk on the phone as often as possible. It snowed a lot that day, our highest snowfall of the season. The roads were empty and even my office had a low turnout. When me and my fren SR reached home in the evening, we realised everyone else had cleaned up their parking spot and dumped snow on ours. There was no other spot empty so we had no other choice but to spend a good 2 hrs shovelling the snow! Wat a way to spend Valentine's Day evening. Whatever happened to candlelight dinner and walk in the beach?

V had sent me a bouquet of flowers, which is still nice a fresh besides my bed. I start my day with the view of the fresh beautiful roses that just brighten up my day. I, on the other hand, after much contemplation, decided to give him a nice gourmet chocolate treat. The website showed lovely looking chocolate shells filled with mousse and other yummy treats. Seemed perfect for V. I paid more than the value of the chocolate for delivery on the 14th. When he received the gift, V called me. He was like the gift looks great....but the tone of his voice made me realize that I made a mistake. Even as I had placed the order, I had a strange feeling that something was not right. And guess what, the gift included just the shells, no mousse nor custard to fill the shells! The gift was pointless :( This weekend I have asked V to get along the shells when he comes visiting and we'll make some mousse at home and try it out.

The last weekend was a long weekend for us due to President's Day. We decided to go skiing. Our friend/my flatmate SR had other plans so there was just me, V and one of V's friend. Saturday was spent making rounds of malls looking for a decent deals on ski pants. In the eve, we went to a friend's place in New Jersey to see a very interesting French movie. But that's another post. By the time we returned to Stamford, it was almost 3 am. We had planned to leave early next morning for the ski resort so that we reach by 10 am when the lessons start.

Sunday morning we woke up bright and fresh, in spite of the late night. The resort, Mountain Creek Resort, is located in Vernon, New Jersey which is about 1.5 hrs drive from Stamford. As we walked up to the resort from the parking lot, we got an inkling of what we were getting ourselves into. Just walking up to the resort sapped up almost all our energy! Damn! I so needed to exercise! After getting ourselves registered for the beginners class, we stopped for a quick breakfast. The place was very crowded and we had to stand in long queues to get our skiing gear - ski boots, skis and poles. Me and V's friend had to buy woollen caps since mine was not appropriate for the purpose and V's friend had none. We were patting ourselves for thinking ahead and getting the ski pants from outside. The resort stores were so damn expensive. A simple woolen cap cost me 26 bucks!

By the time we got all our gear, it was past 12 o'clock. We had missed our lesson and so had to wait for the next one which started at 2 pm. We decided to pass the time by starting on our own. We copied others who were taking lessons and learnt how to put on the skis. We started with one ski and soon all three were sliding along a gradient slope in both skis. Woo! It felt great and the experience was so much better than my ice-skating experience.

At around 2 the next lesson started. There were 10 learners in each group. The instructor started with basic techniques and we were soon whizzing downhill (OK it wasn't exactly whizzing...more like whizzing in slow motion :P ) Once or twice I fell down while trying more advanced techniques like turning and shuffling etc. After few practices on gradient slope, the instructor took us to a higher slope. V was ahead of me and he glided down the slope with ease. Next was my turn and I let myself go. It felt awesome! But soon I gained a whole lot of speed and I felt myself go zoom! I could see V at the end of the slope and I was approaching him real fast. I heard him shout to brake. I willed my feet to move so that I can make a V, the technique we had learned for braking. But my feet just didn't move soon enough. I realized I was soon gonna crash on V and another guy standing besides him. To avoid it, I let myself fall down and then I felt a huge thud on my head. I now know what it means to see stars in broad daylight :) I felt my head had split into two. I tried to look around and I didn't see a hint of panic in V's eyes or people nearby. So I realized my head was still in one piece and that I was alright.

The instructor helped me up. My head was still aching, so I decided to give myself a break. The others went up for two more rounds. As I stood waiting my headache went away. It started to snow and everything looked even more beautiful. The lessons we done and we decided we have had enough. We got out the cameras and clicked a few pics. By then we were famished with hunger so had a hearty meal at the cafeteria. On our drive back to Stamford, I felt so tired, I just couldn't keep my eyes open. By the time we reached, not only was my head aching again, but the rest of my body too was hurting here and there.

The next morning I tried to lift myself out of the bed when I felt shooting pain in my neck. I had to hold my head by my hands so as not to strain my neck, as I got out of bed. Now, almost a week later, my neck is still hurting a bit, but the pain is less intense. At least I can lift myself up from my bed or couch without having to hold my head with my hands :)

So that was my first ever skiing experience. The fall hasn't put me off skiing and I'm looking forward to doing it again - the skiing that is, not falling down :)

10 comments:

fursat said...

First part is too romantic, second part is too funny :P

Yea, this looks like a great way to celebrate, V-Day, shoveling the snow :P. Oops, it was better than mine, programming the night away :(

V toh theek hain but what were you thinking sending the shells...lol. Next, time don't just send the stems, send flowers too...hehe.

fursat said...

I love French movies, have seen a few of them, my fav. being Amelie. I will comment about the second part baad main , as I have to leave work. The post is awesome overall. Wait for my rest of the comments... :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, skiing...never done it, though wud luv to!

"the gift included just the shells, no mousse nor custard to fill the shells"...Sigh! These over-marketeers really know how to spoil the mood of a person. I recall how my sis had sent this lovely looking chocolate cum rakhi combo from Indiatimes on Raksha Bandhan...and it reached FIVE days AFTER the festival!!!!!


(BTW, new story up - hope u will manage some time to read it)

fursat said...

The resort looks awesome. We have an awesome ski-resort here, Whistler. We should make some plan for 2010 winter Olympics that will happen there. It will be fun :D

Yea, these resort people know how to churn money as no one will go back after coming so far.

Your downhill ski was so interesting...lol. I was getting confused between V and V (for braking...lol). Sorry, but I was laughing after reading about your fall...he he. din main taare dekh gayee

I hope you are fine though. I told you about my ski experience in Kashmir, it was fun but I fell 9/10 times...lol

Anonymous said...

Wow! it must be very great experience and fun.

And sorry to say that I laughed reading your line "....I now know what it means to see stars in broad daylight". Sorry yaar. I couldn't control myself.

V'Day, V'Weekend without V :P :(...

But really loved this post :D.

Colors said...

Hey Ricky, yeah my gift was pretty stupid :(
Oh I loved Amelie..its one of my favs. Have u seen any other movies of Audrey Toutou? Have u seen 'He love me, he loves me not' ?
Thanks! I'm glad u enjoyed reading this..yeah even though at my expense :P

Colors said...

Hi DJ, you should try it! Its fun and not as difficult as it looks! Though I've heard in India they have one size for all and that the shoes are already attached to the skis! Not sure how one can manage wihtout being able to remove the skis once in a while!

Oh yes, I have been thru that too..my rakhi too reached my brother few days too late. Isnt that so disappointing? Spoils the festival totally!

Colors said...

Hey Juneli, :) yeah it certainly was! Hehe..dont be sorry, it was quite funny when I look back :)
Well, the V-day was without V but V-weekend was with V all the way!
Thanks! :D

fursat said...

I think you have told me about this movie in one of our chats. I haven't watched it but will try too. Abhi I am going to a tennis match with someone named, Meghan. Pray that she is HOT!! :D

Colors said...

Yeah, I might have mentioned it Ricky, its unlike Amelie, not cute and sweet but rather dark. But still a must see :)