Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Some of my recent readings and viewings

One Night at the Call Center: After having heard not too good reviews about the book, I was quite ready to a day or two of boring reading. But once I started the book, I found it engrossing enough. The story had a good start and I kept on reading to find out 'so what will happen at the end of the day, or rather the night'. But then God enters and my interest in the story exits. I don't know, the book started realistically enough and then all of a sudden God intervenes and makes it completely unbelievable. Seemed to me that the author had no clue how to end the story and came up with this weird idea. A disappointment.


The Hungry Tide: This is my first book by Amitav Ghosh. My brother recommended this to me saying that he is considered to be the best among Indian writers. The story is set in the tide country of the Sundarbans and is told from the perspective of the two main characters, Kanai Ghosh and Piyali Roy. Even though the book does not have constant action, thrill and suspense, it is still fast paced enough. Amitav Ghosh keeps the pages turning taking us through the history of the Sundarbans, the perilous ecology of the endangered cetaceans and the conservation projects surrounding the great Bengal Tiger, the stories of the local deities along with the stories for each character. He also reveals the shocking incident of the Morichjhapi where thousands of refugees trying to settle down are violently evicted by the government in the name of conservation. However, I have to admit that at times I got bored by the lengthy descriptions and skipped few paragraphs here and there.


Guru: What was the hype all about? Guru, to my opinion was quite a boring film. I had entered the theatre with a lot of expectations, but was very disappointed. Agreed that Abhishek did a good job, but that's not enough for a movie to be interesting, is it? The story was flat, about a poor guy who makes it big by bending the law. Even though the law manages to catch him, he is sent free after he makes an impassioned speech to the commission, which by the way he manages to speak in a strong voice in spite of having suffered a paralytic attack that weakened him! What was the movie trying to tell? That its okay to bend the law and get you thing done? Or was it trying to give a message that India needs to have less restrictions on entrepreneurs and business starters? Somehow, the message didn't come through clear. Aishwarya has acted her part good enough. Vidya Balan and Madhavan are pleasing to the eye while it was nice to see Mithun in a good role (seen Chingari? You'll know what I mean!). A passable movie, see if you must.


Eklavya: After quite a while did I get to see a movie that kept me fully entertained. The missing song and dance sequences was quite a relief and not missed. I felt the movie was made splendid. The direction and cinematography was arresting and the acting superb. No one, not even the Big B, did I feel overacted. Jackie Shroff - whom I always felt went too overboard with his roles, specially in the few movies that he has appeared in the last few years - even he seemed have acted 'just enough'. Saif is once again brilliant and looking awesomely good while Vidya Balan, my favorite these days, looks beautiful. Boman Irani has portrayed his role of a jealous king very well and Sharmila, still looks gorgeous even to this day. Sanjay Dutt gives a comic relief to this dark story about jealousy, faithfulness, betrayal, ambition, love and revenge revolving around a royal family during present times. A must see!


The Science of Sleep: This is a French movie which I saw at a friend's place. I have always been fond of French movies, their story-line is always simple and involves around regular believable people and I love the sound of their language, so soft and polite! The Science of Sleep is in French and English with bits of Spanish thrown in. This is a story of a talented illustrator Stephane who returns to his childhood home for a job which he soon finds out to be pretty shitty. He meets his equally creative neighbor Stephanie and soon falls in love with her. But that's just a part of the bigger story - Stephane often has trouble differentiating dreams from reality and he finds himself slipping back and forth between them causing havoc on his waking life which starts to take it's toll on his sanity. The movie is created by the director of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The surrealism you see in Eternal Sunshine is evident here as well. The movie is beautiful and artfully done interspersed with comedy, inventiveness and quirkiness. Watch it if you like out of the box movies!

14 comments:

fursat said...

I have read it but I have to leave and so will comment later in detail. Its wonderful post though.

Colors said...

Ricky, come soon! I'm looking fwd to read ur comments!

fursat said...

Wow, someone is waiting for my comments :D

I have joined this literature community on Orkut and 80% people there voted ONCC as the worst book but it seems the book is not that bad except for the heavenly intervention. I think he got inspired by Dan Brown or something...lol. I will give it a pass.

When I was coming to Canada, I grabbed some books for flight, one of which was Amitav Ghosh's "The Glass Palace". I never got the chance to read it but the one you read looks very interesting. Your brother has good choice in books as I have read couple recommended by him to you.

fursat said...

I haven't watched Guru but it got mixed reviews. Everyone seemed to like Abhishek but that's about it. I don't have any plans to watch it anytime soon.

I want to watch Eklavya though, esp. after this review. Everyone seemed to have enjoyed this and I am a big fan of Vidhu and his sensibilities when it comes to movies. The movie offers something "different" and Amitabh is one of my all time favorites. So, this movie for sure is on my to-watch list.

I have seen "Eternal Sunshine...", loved that movie. It was weird but very smart. Loved Kate in that movie and Carey was pretty good too (that was way better than your Butterfly Effect...yukk...lol). This movie looks interesting, I will watch it sometime for sure.

fursat said...

This was an awesome post, totally my type. A bit about good books, good movies and very well written. You are a master of mini-reviews. I will be recommending this to some of my blog-friends :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Colors...Am here...!!!

Have been reading your posts from quite some time now...but never left comments...Am going to do so..from TODAY onwards !!!

ON@TCC ...I was sooo excited about the book & Taran got it for me from his office bookstore the day the book was released in India..the story was def gripping...wanted to know each moment as to what would happen next..but, by the end..a big DUD...the book was def a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT...

Havint read The Hungry Tide...& might not.

Saw Guru on the 2nd day of its release...well, as you said don't know what the director wanted to project..as to giving money to get one's work done & then being successful is a way to succeed...
Abhishek was awesome..You know the movie has been shot in Chennai :)
Thank God Aish din't Over-act in this one..The MUSIC Truly ROCKS...ARR..wat say???

Eklavya ...I saw on the 1st day of its release....Loved AB Sr. & SAIF IS DROOL WORTHY MATERIAL man....his Nawabi Style....zaara hatt-ke movie.

Anonymous said...

I had same kind of feelings about the book ON@CC. I also picked it up read after his first book but.... :(.

Let's see how others will find it.

I've not read the Hungry Tides yet. But of course Mr. Ghosh is one of the best in Indian authors and his books are bestseller. The Glass Palace too. I have sent the later one to two people.

I really didn't like Guru at all. You know what I had watched the Guru and Kabul Express on the same day but I found Kabul Express much much better than the Guru. As Mehak said I'm really didn't like the message it tried to show. Acting wise of course it's good film for both couple but the film a dump.

Yet to watch the Eklavya and I'm sure it's a good film and I'm gonna enjoy it.

Waiting for Nishabda that's going to release tomorrow. I'm reading Lolita too. So I can compare the both novel and story.

As Ricky said it's really nice to read your mini review post. Keep it up. :)

Hey last part of the story is already there :)

The Bhandari's said...

wow cool post color's....
@ONCC---- me too felt exactly the same, was hooked initally and then found it total disappointment
@HT... haven't read but ur post asking me to read soon :D
@Guru... I differ, for a change I liked the movie, liked abhishek's work too and for Aish I never liked her and neither did I this time :P, I didn't watch movie for any message and found it quite interesting with lovely songs.. Yeah this movie was based on life of Dhirubhai so was comparing with his actual life all the time to see how much was reality and how much was the masala in movie Even I too watched Kabul Express same day and liked it and found Arshad as usual good and humourous
@eklavya... have plans to watch soon
Rest I don't know french :D

Very good post

The Bhandari's said...

oh yes I liked all the time
"Guru Bhai Guru Bhai aa gaya che"

Colors said...

Hey Ricky, I thought u've already read ONCC.
Yeah I think Glass Palace is a more popular book of Amitav Ghosh. Lemme know once you read it.
Make sure you dont miss Eklavya.

Hey! I liked Eternal Sunshine too! I liked both the movies. Since watching Eternal, I've always wanted to go on a snowy sea beach..but this year too I wasnt able to. Maybe next season?

Colors said...

Hi Mehak! Thank God you finally made yourself visible :) Pls do leave comments or else how will I know??!
Yeah I did like few of the songs of Guru but felt most of them were pushed in unnecessarily. But then again, thats how it is with most songs anyway isnt it?
You said it, Saif is definitely very edible ;)

Colors said...

Yeah Juneli, after reading ONCC I realized why people didnt like it. Oh I missed Kabul Express in the theatre...am now just waiting for a chance to see it. I really liked the look of it when I watched the trailers.

Hey I read Lolita last year and when I heard about Nishabd, I was thinking how in the world will they make a hindi movie out of it? Lolita is quite a scandalous story after all. But then I came to know he increased the girl's age to 18, so now I can very well imagine how much of the original story has been 'adapted'. Still, it would be fun to watch it and compare with the book.
By the way, did u like Lolita?

Colors said...

Thanks Preeti :)

Lemme know if you get to read HT :)
I guess you are right abt Guru, but I dont know much abt Dhirubhai's rise to fame so maybe I couldn't relate. Yep! Shame on me...well, I better read about then!
Yeah Arshad is great in comic roles. I recently saw Munnabhai III's trailer...Munnabhai Chale Umrica or something like that. As always, the duo were hilarious!

Heehee, I too dont know French but you should try some French movies (with English subtitles of course). Start with Amelie, I'm sure you'll love the movie.

fursat said...

I haven't read either FPS or ONCC, although my friend has copies of both here.

I'm not sure when will I get the chance to read "Glass Palace", maybe on the way back to India :P

Yea, I remember that beach from "Eternal" :)