Monday, June 20, 2005

The US Formula 1 Grand Prix

As many of you know, this weekend was for the USGP to be held in Indianapolis. Due to unavoidable circumstances we were unable to go for the qualifying race in Saturday. But later while checking websites for updates, me and V came to know about the controversy brewing up. It seems that during the practice session on Friday, two cars had accidents due to their tyres bursting. Michelin investigated the reason for the tyres bursting and declared the current tyres being used to be unsafe for the Indy pit. They planned to fly in another batch of tyres for all their teams. However, they couldn't get fresh tyres for the qualifying race on Saturday and hence the 7 teams using Michelin tyres used the unsafe ones for the qualifying race. Michelin wanted them to use the 'new' tyres for the finals, but according to F1 rules, they have to use the same tyres for both the qualifying and the final race.

So, when we went to Indy on Sunday morning, it was still unsure how things are going to be. If the association agreed to bend the rules and allow them to use the new tyres, the race would go on. Else, we were worried the entire race might get cancelled. We were 9 of us, with 6 seeing the race for the first time. My friend Rashmi and her husband had come all the way from Virginia just to see the race. Everyone was excited and we were armed with a Ferarri flag, Ferarri tees and caps and and Indian flag to cheer the Ferrari team and our own Kartikeyan. There was lots of excitement and the familiar Speedway that I knew so well (my office is just opposite the racetrack) looked completely different...lively and colorful with hundreds and thousands of people from all over the wall. I later read that there were an estimated 120,000 fans.

We had very good seats where we could see the longest part of a lap. From where we sat, we could see the first 5 turns where the cars slow down and max action happens. The race started with all the 20 cars lined up. After the necessary formalities, the cars took off for a practice round to heat up the tyres. Seeing the cars, we were relieved that atleast they did come up with some kind of solution to the issue. But our relief was short lived...for except for the 6 cars running on Bridgestone tyres, rest all the cars went in back to their pit stop. They had all withdrew from the race and now only 6 cars were participating!!!

After the fans got over the initial confusion, they started getting frustrated and people started booing and throwing bottles and beer cans on the track. Many non-Ferarri supporters got up and left in disgust. We stayed on... of course each and everyone present were disappointed and upset. But looking at the brighter side, we were happy that Ferrari got a sure shot win and Kartikeyan got his best chance ever to increase his rank position. Practically, there were two parts in the race...one between Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello and the other one between the remaining 4. The race was between one of the best team (Ferarri) and 2 of the worst teams (Jordan and Minardi). Within no time both the Ferarri cars zoomed off leaving the remaining 4 cars far behind. Kartikeyan did pretty ok as he managed to get to the 4th position from 5th. I was hoping (wicked that I am) that something should happen to the 2 cars in front of Kartikeyan so that he can come 3rd, coz soon there was no chance of him to overtake his teammate Monteiro to get into the 3rd position. The highlight of the race was when Schumi took his second pit stop and when got out of his pit stop, Barrichelo was right in front of him and Schumi managed to nudge him out of the way and get back into 1st position. Barrichello was forced to get out of the track into the grass to avoid a collision. I am sure he must be having a huge grudge for Schumi for that!

Well, the race ended and no one was surprised with the results. It was a subdued Shcumi, an irate Barrichello and an overly happy and grinning Monteiro who went up the podium to take the victory stand! Many people were demanding a refund of their tickets and I read later on that the Indy Speedway are contemplating on the refund. Overall, though it was the oddest race ever, with frens around it was a good fun. Not as exciting as expected...but in a way we are all glad to have been a part of the F1 history!

21 comments:

Nupur said...

Oww!!!
I really would like to see Karthikeyan win...and soon!! :)

And yes... your description of F1 there reminds me of the F1 here in Feb.. but thats so far away!!!! :(

kaatss said...

hey,

thanks for comments....i was in stand E....where were you???......overall, i indeed had fun, even though the race was not as expected.....

Colors said...

Hey Nupur, yes..it would be great to see Kartikeyan win. But for that he need to drive a better car. He has very less chances in Jordan, unless ofcourse something like what happened in the USGP happens again! I remember you going for the F1 at Melbourne. But then again USGP was so different. The technical failure which turned into a political issue took all the fun from the race. :(

Hey Kaatss, Cool!! someone who actually saw the race too :-) I was sitting quite opposite to you..at the NW Vista, near the first turn.

Anonymous said...

waaaah I have not been exposed to F1 that much but your description is too good..felt like I was there myself girl.chalo good you enjoyed and atleast apna kartikeyan was aage....now i gotta watch more of these..sounds like so much fun to the ignorant me :)

Anonymous said...

I cannot afford the tickets to race and to Indianapolis so I have missed the race for last 23 years
:(

bommerang :=>

Colors said...

Hey Kaush, I was in the same boat 3 yrs ago when I first went to see the F1 and since then I have been hooked! V has been a great tutor and coz of him now I know bit about the stategies etc :-). Yeah..it sure is great fun..and quite amazing when you think what all goes in for a race!

Hey Boommerang, Wow! Didnt know you have been here so long. So are you not from India? I know watching it live is different, but you can have as much fun watching it on TV as well :-)

Anonymous said...

heyy colors..

really hated to see schumi's expressions on the podium after being booed to victory by fans.. wonder why he raced.. id be thinking like others if i say.. he raced cos he needed those much coveted points that have brought him to the 3rd position on the overall standings..
apna verry karthikeyan then claims that he was told by his team to stay behind Monteiro..

politics.. beaurucracy just killed the spirit of yet another game.. :-((

Anonymous said...

tht above was Me.. btw hi colors..!! i was gonna cover the indianapolis with one of my posts but.. it waas a hell lot disappointing..!!

Colors said...

Hi 'Me', ur nick is kinda confusing isnt it? How can I call you 'me' when you are not me??? :P

As for the race, I think what Schumi did was ok...I mean why should he and the Bridgestone teams suffer for a Michelin failure? Of course he needed points, but it was sheer stupidity and ego of the Michelin team to have acted the way they did and in the end they lost it totally.

This was certainly disappointing, but wouldnt it have been more disappointing if there had been no race at all?

^rashmi^ said...

Hey Colors,
I totally agree tht if there wouldn't have been any race then it wud hv been really disappointing. Then I myself would hv jumped on the track and ran!! Thanks so much for the experience and thx for taking care of us so much.....'V' is full of information and tht helped us in getting involved. Now I hope we can watch US open finals together. I hope Sania goes way ahead;-)

Anonymous said...

I am not Indian cause I am African American..born and brought up in Iowa. And looks like Indian are very rich cause none of us in our family have yet been to F1.

How much I wish I can travel to all places like you but it takes a lot of money which I cannot afford..anyways you doing great and keep doing that ...

cheers
boomerang :=>

P.S : Are you as beautiful as it shows in picture and your blog :)

Anonymous said...

You made F1 seem to exciting. Next time there is one at Hockenheim perhaps I should go. But I hear that it is around 500 Euros for a good seat here.

Anonymous said...

still pretty exciting, eh-RS

Colors said...

LOL Rash, trying to imagine u running on the tracks with hundreds and thousands of people cheering for u :P. It was great fun having you two here. Yes, we should do the US Open thing too :-). Sania lost in the 2nd round no? tsk!

Hey Beemerang, so how did u come across my blog? Well, I havent travelled much within India itself. Just that here there's no family to spend holidays with, so we guys go travelling :-). As for the pic...its just kinda how I 'wish' i looked :D

Thanks Colours, yes the race is very interesting :-). Wow! 500 Euros is expensive. Here its $85 and I heard Indy track is the cheapest in all F1 venues.

Hey RS, yes..inspite of all the hoo-hallah, it was quite interesting. Or maybe it was becoz of the hoo-hallah! :-)

Anonymous said...

Finally the STAR is here. You know if "Hero" comes early no one takes him seriously. So, I make entry just at the right time (just like SRK you know).

Anyways, we all can discuss "me" some other time. As you may know, I saw the race on TV and hell yea it was disappointing. The politics that goes in F1 is just amazing. Everyone was booing Ferrari coz they didn't agree with the change that Michelin recommended and rightfully so. Why should someone else pay for other's failure?

Good for Kartikeyan though. Also, I was also proud to see TATA Company as sponsors on Monteiro while he was giving inerview. That is as big achievement as Kartikeyan reaching F1.

Also, I was amazed at non-sorry attitude of Schumi after he "checked" Barrichelo so bad. I mean, Barrichelo looked pissed.

I actually saw few desi guys/gals wearing N.A.R.I.A.N shirt in yellow and I thought it was you guys. Even, I would have rather watched Rashmi on the track than the race...ha ha.

I am glad you had fun though...:)

Anonymous said...

By the way Colors, "u" got some competition from colo"u"rs...he he

Anonymous said...

It was a hopeless race..just 6 out of 20! Monterio must be the happiest man alive on that day!

Gaurav

Colors said...

Ricky, uh..are you ok? Star??? Hero??? Wats got into you?! :P I totally agree with you regarding Ferarri's stand. :-) Yes, it does feel good to see an Indian co's name in the sponsors. No, it wasnt us that you saw...but yes, had Rashmi actually run then you could have seen us very clearly. LOL.
:-) Me and Colours "met" due to a case of mistaken identity. Am glad it happened though!

Hey Gaurav, I am sure Monterio was the only one who was 100% happy with the race! He was grinning all over...which is of course quite understandable!

Anks said...

Ferrari might be really happy! two podium spots and Schumi gets a gold first time after his car was downgraded! Somehow, he doesn't feel so invincible now!

Ha Ha said...

Ferrari was always a class above the rest. Now they seem to have some slack. Hopefully things will change soon.

mrs gail gray said...

Iam a michael schumacher and i am very proud that he is 7 times world champion okay in 2005 wasnt a very good season but there will never be a world champion to beat 7. i hope he regains his world championship this year in 2006. but if he dont,thats it. but to be honest with you he is the best since aryton senna,fangio and the rest. and no-0ne let alone fernando alonso or any others drivers will get 7 titles.