Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Insomnia

Somebody help me. I feel groggy, dull, and irritable. For the past many weeks, I have been sleeping very little. I agree, previously the situation was bad, but now it has gotten worse.

I have always been a late sleeper. I used to sleep at 1am and get up at 730am - just in time to get ready for work. This much of sleep was enough for me to get through the day without much problem. However, as the weeks went by, my bedtime got later and later. I would not fall off to sleep before 2am. Then from 2am, it was 3am and yesterday was the heights. I fell asleep only after 5am. 2hrs later I did hear the alarm go off, I did open my eyes...but I did not realize when I fell back to sleep again and that I had switched off the alarm instead of snoozing it. I finally woke up past 8am. Thankfully, my office follows flexi-timing to some extent, so it was kinda okay.

I am now getting really worried about my inability sleep on time. If this continues I know it’s gonna take a toll on my health and my work. Infact, it already has. I cannot get by the morning work without a strong cup of coffee and sometimes even that does not help. The kinda work that I am doing currently makes it worse.

I have tried to sleep early...once I even got to bed at 10pm, switched off the lights. But after 2 hrs of tossing and turning, I was back up watching TV. I tried drinking warm milk too. If I read a book, I get so caught up in the story that I end up sleeping even more late :( Listening to music doesn’t help either.

I catch up on all the sleep during weekends when I can afford to sleep until late morning or afternoon. I know this is not a healthy solution, but I cannot help it. So please, help me! How do I make my beauty sleep come to me?
BTW, Happy Republic Day!

6 comments:

fursat said...

Hey Colors,

You almost described what I have been feeling these days. My situation right now is not so bad but still I went to bed at 11 pm last night but did'nt felt sleep till 1:00 am I guess. I hate it seriously. And then there is my dad who can sleep even while sitting anywhere (touchwood). Seriously, sometimes I feel I would just snap my fingres and can start hearing his snores..ha ha.

Have you heard about sleep apneia clinics in US. My uncle has one in California. I don't know how expensive they are but they deal with problems of sleeping (mostly snoring but I guess for insomnia too). Acc. to him sleep-deprivation is the cause of major health problems, so don't take it lightly. As far as myself is concerend my condition is still under control.

Gaurav said...

Sorry maa'm..
but i just can't help you on this one..
i am a late sleeper too..i usually sleep between 2 and 3..but somehow manage to pass the day comfortably..
probably u are doing some hectic work in office these days..and thats why u are finding it difficult to cope..
dont worry..
This shall pass too!!
;-)

Deepak Jeswal said...

Um err aaah...i sleep like a dog, log or whatever! it comes quite naturally, and if these i m sleeping late its coz of the blog! ( rhymes also, i see!) ... anyways, the body is a cool adapter...if it continues to a couple of days more, it will automatically demand sleep and make u doze off for hours at length...so dont fight it back...coz the more u do, the more it will hurt...just relax!

Deepak Jeswal said...

Hey COLORS...AND THIS IS FOR ALL READING THE COMMENTS...

HV U VOTED AT THE ASHIX AWARDS AT

http://ashtrix.rediffblogs.com

PLEASE DO VOTE! AND PLS DO BE THERE ON JANUARY 31ST 2005...WE ARE PLANNING A LIVE WEB-CAST...SO U WILL SEE THE WINNERS COMING UP ON LINE IN REAL TIME...

AND YES, I M THE CO-HOST...SO BE PREPARED FOR THE FUN!

COUNTING ON UR VOTE AND ATTENDANCE!

Colors said...

Guys,
Thanks so much! I guess I am not the only one then. Maybe I just need to make a habit of getting into the bed early enough and stick to it!

Ricky...ur comment kinda scared me! I wouldnt wanna think myself to be suffering from some sleep disease! :(

I hope - like Mehul says - that this will pass and I am back to a better regime!

Deepak, lucky you! I envy you...you are like my bf. He too can keep awake as long as he wants and then fall asleep the moment his head touches the pillow.

And Kaush...exercise and me?? :) :)
Well..let me put it this way..."Join a gym" is still not ticked off from my NY resolution list!
Yes, hot showers are awesome. I normally take them in the eves...maybe I should postpone it a bit and take one before bedtime.

fursat said...

Hi Colors,

Actually to be very frank after readng my own comment, I was a little scared...ha ha. Well, the best way to counter insomnia is a little long-term solution. Eat healthy (no junk food at all, green vegetbles are great), no caffeine, Some excercise, Sleep on time (or try to) and yea bath works too and try to be as relaxed as you can while sleeping...:))

Ricky...
http://seventeentomatoes.rediffblogs.com/