Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New girl on the block

After watching the well deserved sweeping win of Slumdog Millionaire at the Golden Globe, I have been extremely impressed with - not Dev Patel, not Danny Boyle, not even A R Rahman - but with Freida Pinto, the girl who plays the character of adult Latika, the love interest in the movie.


While watching the movie, I was more engrossed in the amazing direction and awesome acting by the child artists - and so failed to notice her as anything more than a "regular" actor. But when I saw her on the stage with Shah Rukh Khan at the Golden Globe awards, I was struck by her confidence and her ability to hold herself alongside SRK.

Since then we have been scouring YouTube to catch what we can about her and the movie. And while at it, we came to know that these two young debutantes, Dev Patel and Freida Pinto - have appeared in a number of television interviews in the US. And as we watched her interviews in various award ceremonies and TV shows, my admiration for her grew. Just see how well she handles herself with Jay Leno on The Tonight Show. Compared to much experienced Aishwarya's appearances on network television in the US and the difference is obvious. Freida is poised and confident, knows how to talk well and her command of the English language shows.

At this point, I would have linked to the You Tube video of Freida's appearance on The Tonight Show. But unfortunately, the video's been removed from YouTube by NBC due to copyright reasons.

No wonder that one of the top agencies in Hollywood, Creative Artists Agency (CAA) that represents the likes of Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Kate Winslet, to name a few, has signed her up. The girl's gonna go places! Watch this space.

8 comments:

fursat said...

I didn't failed to notice her in the movies but then am a guy :P But you are right, the screenplay of the movie was so tight that we were all engrossed in the movie rather than who is playing what.

She has carried herself very well and I saw her on the Tonight Show and also Good Morning America. She was oozing confidence.

himalayanreview said...

True to your words i am well very impressed with the child artistes. They had given awesome performances.

Well music didn't ever gave me pleasure.... sorry to Golden Globe. I believe Rehman had done better work than this.

http://sikhim.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

When I watch the movie I should now watch out for her performance.

Anonymous said...

A much talked about her and of course the film. I'm waiting to watch it.

:)

It's been long that I've watch any good film.

Colors said...

Haha Ricky, I am sure you had not failed to notice her!
And thanks for the link to the Ellen Degeneres show....wish they had spent more time talking than dancing, though it was fun :)

Yeah Shital, the kids were brilliant! Well, considering that the music in a Hollywood movie differs from Bollywood, I feel A R Rahman's work in SM was lovely...It mainly comprised of background score rather than songs..and appealed to international veiwers as well.

Colors said...

Hey Colours and Juneli, I hope you get to see it soon...lemme know your review :)

fursat said...

Me and my brother were talking the other day and although we are happy about Dev Patel's and Freida Pinto's success, they both were not really the true stars of the movie. The real stars were those three kids, who in real-life are slum dwellers. I hope they are put into good schools and we will hear some positive stories about them too.

Colors said...

Ricky, here's something I just read in BBC about the slum kids. Looks like their condition hasn't improved much.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7840810.stm