Thursday, March 23, 2006

The last week

My last week in Gangtok is now a blur. The week was crammed with shopping, visits to the tailor, meeting relatives and friends and of course the dentist.

My trip to Calcutta and Kathmandu was so much fun that I had actually forgotten all about my dentist and the impending tasks. So the very next day of my return, I was back at her clinic with a heavy heart. I had to visit her almost everyday for the final touches to my RCT and capping. During the little time that I could squeeze in between the visits, I would go for shopping either with my friend or with my mom. Once we hosted a dinner party and for all close relatives. The next day the same group of people met at one of the relatives house for dinner. The third day the third relative invited the same group for dinner. It was funny coz the only difference between these parties were the venue and the menu.

During this time, I came to know from one of my cousin that she has befriended an old friend of mine. Incidentally, this friend's name also starts with V. We used to be friends since KGs or maybe even before that. We used to stay in the same building and were in the same class till 12th. In fact when we were kids, we used to be best of friends. I still remember that he used to say he'll marry me when we grow up! LOL... After we left school, we had lost contact until now. Through my cousin, I called and spoke to him. It was really good talking to him after all these years. The next day one of my uncle gave me, my brother and cousins a lunch treat. This guy called up at that time and he said he would like to meet me...so I invited him over to the restaurant. When we met, we both were surprised seeing each other. After all it had been 8 yrs since we met. He was so shocked seeing me that he just couldn't get over it. All the time he was constantly telling me how much I have changed and all that....hehe it was fun but embarrassing in front of my uncle and brother.

Soon it was my last day in Sikkim. I went for lunch with two of my closest friends. My poor mom was more busy that me, packing edibles, doing last minute stitches and alterations and packing my bags along with theirs as they too were coming with me to Delhi. The next day with a very heavy heart I bid my brother goodbye. My brother along with a few of his friends had just come up with a magazine and that evening was the launch of the same. I was sorry to miss the function by just a day. He had tried hard to get it pre-poned so that I could also attend, but it didn't work out.

My flight to Delhi was uneventful. After reaching Sikkim House early afternoon, I contacted a friend located in Noida hoping to meet her. Unfortunately both our schedule was such that we couldn't meet. Two of my cousins studying in Delhi came by to meet us. I was meeting one of them after probably 6-7 years. My kid cousin had grown up to be dashing young man and it was fun spending time with them. That evening we went to Sarojini Market, which was pretty close, for some more shopping :)

The next day we went towards Noida for my dad's check-up. I tried once again to meet up with my friend, but again was disappointed. After that we went to Karol Bagh where we did some shopping. In the evening we went back to Sarojini Market for some last minute shopping *grin*. Soon it was time for us to leave for the airport. I hated the airport for not allowing visitors inside. I had to bid my parents goodbye right at the gates. Parting is the most difficult thing ever. I felt wretched for leaving my parents like that...wondering was this all worth? My poor parents were still standing outside in the cold while I was checking in, which took a long time. Finally my check-in was over and I went back to the gate to wave them good bye.

The flight was a bit delayed but I was least bothered as my thoughts were constantly with my parents. We must have flew for and hour or so when they announced that we have to turn back to Delhi as one of the passengers was not feeling well. Once we landed in Delhi, we were stranded in the airport for a good 4hrs waiting for a takeoff slot. I was feeling so wretched that time since I was so close to my parents and yet could not contact them. I was cursing the damn T-Mobile service people for not activating my international roaming in spite of me requesting them. By the time I reached Paris, I had missed my connecting flight. After another long and tiring wait, I was booked in another flight to New York. By the time I reached NY, I was dazed and tired. On landing I came to know that my hand-luggage, which they had asked me to check-in had not yet arrived. I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. On my onward journey, I had my hand luggage with me but got my two suitcases only after 4 days. On my return journey, I had my two suitcase, but my cabin luggage was missing!!! Thankfully, it arrived home the very next morning without further delay. My dear landlord and landlady came to the airport to pick me up and I reached home safe and sound.

So that was my entire trip. Writing about this trip took me longer than the trip itself! LOL! I was once again plagued by jet-lag which took me a whole week to get over

Books read during this period...Journey to the Self by Luna Shrestha Thakur and City of Glass by Paul Auster

14 comments:

fursat said...

I am so tired. ***Yawnnnnnnn***

I will be spendig 5 more hours in the lab...

I am still FIRSTTTT!!

Beech beech main padhunga to get some rest...

Anonymous said...

Me second... will be back to read this. Just commented on the Kathmandu post :-)

fursat said...

It looks you seriously spend more time with your dentist than your family...LOL

Another V...hmmm. What's up with you and letter V?? You will marry V but not the one on this post...
;-) **Ahem ahem** @ the meet with V.

Your brother is really very multi-talented person.

You stayed in Delhi @ Sikkim House...lol. Kabhi toh choddh do Sikkim ko...:P

Hey Bhagwaan, Shopping shopping shopping...poora Delhi khareed leeya kya?

fursat said...

Ah!! The incident about you landing back @ Delhi and not able to meet your parents again, sucks.

These airport guys seriously have some conspiracy against you.

I have heard about "City of Glass". Again, good choice in books...:-)

Anchal said...

Hey...read your trip...was interesting, and frustrating as well...glad you reached safe and sound...

Regarding getting back to Delhi Airport...they have free local Telephone Service...why didn't you try that to call your parents?

I used it when I was leaving Delhi...:)

Anchal

Colors said...

LOL Ricky, whats up with you and being 1st to comment? Chillax and its okay to comment after reading the post!!

Hey DJ, waiting for ur comment....take your time..no hurry!

Hi SM...LOL, wats happening??! Everyone's commenting that they'll read later...does my post look that boring??

Colors said...

Dhat teri!!...SM, I meant Narayan Gopal....dunno where the 'Das' came from! Narayan Das is a famous mithai shop in Gangtok...LOL...I must have been thinking of their boondi laddoo while writing the comment!!!

I have heard very few songs of Narayan Gopal...Kehi Mitho Baat Gara, Euta Maanche Ko, etc. I have now got lots of his songs..but am yet to listen to them. I am not sure if I have heard of Karna Das :(

Colors said...

:) Ricky, I wasn't kidding when I said that...I did spend a LOT of time with the dentist! She must have been so used to me that I am sure she missed me for a long time...hehe

:P There's nothing to *ahem ahem* about my meeting with this V. It was fun to meet an old childhood friend.

Yeah, my bro has lotsa interests...infact he is the one who suggested me 'City of Glass'. I am impressed that you have heard about this book. You should definitely read it when you get a chance. Its a graphic novel..meaning a comic book. Its a depressing story but I was amazed by how much the graphics was able to portray the depth of the story! Its a must read.

Sikkim House is our home away from home. We have 2 Sikkim Houses in Delhi..and you know Sharmila Tagore's home is right in between the two!

Wish I had money to buy whole of Delhi...unfortunately had to settle with a few shops in Sarojini Mkt :P What can I say...I love shopping!!!!

Colors said...

Hi Anchal, welcome to my blog. I believe, I haven't seen you around here before.

Well, when we landed back to the airport, we were kept inside the plane. So calling from a booth was out of question.

fursat said...

I have put "City of Glass" on hold in the library. I will read it just because your brother recommended it to you. He seems to have good choice.

**ahem ahem** @ new-V

I feel pity for Sharmila Tagore...ek tarah kuan doosri taraf bhi kuan...LOL

Colors said...

What Ricky, you are getting that book coz my brother recommended it to me and NOT because I recommended it to you???? :(

Sharmila Tagore thanks her lucky stars everyday for providing her with such lovely neighbours

Colors said...

LOL SM, u r right, looks like the remixes are getting in my head!
I will definitely make a note abt these songs...thanks!
Haha, yeah not the same V :P
Thanks for your comments. For now I haven't written a new post but put up some pics...do check them out

Anonymous said...

Read this one finally :) LOL, shopping in Karol Bagh and Sarojini Nagar is such a pain, what with the crowd and traffic, dunno how girls enjoy it ;-))

Colors said...

Hey DJ, haha...we girls can 'bear' anything for a good shopping experience (read as good bargaining). Actually, it was quite fun after having shopped in malls here (with no scope of bargaining) :)