Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Cat-man-do!

The flight to Ktm was uneventful. It was fun sitting with my brother making fun of how people in Nepal/Sikkim were more "American" then people in US ;-) Weather in Ktm was pleasant and as soon as we landed, I had this nice and warm feeling of being home. We hired a taxi - looking at which made me think, does this even have an engine? How does a box of tin more around by itself? We were soon "cruising" through the gallis terrifyingly close to other vehicles and pedestrians. Thankfully we made it safely to my mama's house. We received a warm welcome from my nani, mama, mami and cousins and other relatives. I'd met them after about 5yrs and it felt great.

How the week in Ktm went by, is still like a dream. As always, whenever we arrive in Ktm, we were overwhelmed by the no. of visitors and invites for dinners and lunches. Sometimes our schedule is so tight, we have to accommodate and accept invitations for even breakfasts and evening snacks! I had a great time visiting relatives and eating yummy nepali/newari cuisine. Initially, I was apprehensive about the relatives being nosy and asking about when I would get married and all that. Luckily for me, my poor brother was the brunt of all the questions and I was safe behind his misery :)

On the 2nd day of our arrival, we went to a nearby town of Patan. Patan is the oldest and probably the most beautiful cities of Nepal with roads laid with bricks and the town dotted with numerous temples and statues. One of my aunts had an exhibition going on in the famous Patan Museum to showcase her methods/adaptations of the traditional custom of Newari baby massage to the modern European life style. She is a resident of Switzerland and has opened classes there to teach pregnant parents the wonders of baby massage to keep them fit and healthy. Though we all knew about her works and how her methods have become famous there, the exhibition made us realize how our own custom is gradually disappearing in Nepali homes.


Durbar Square in Patan




While we were not visiting relatives, me and my parents were out shopping. My nani is mostly bedridden
and complained a lot of us not staying home. So this time we avoided dinner invitations and made a point to spend atleast evenings at home. I always thought Kathmandu is a heaven for shopping clothes and shoes as most of the stuffs are from Hong Kong. We get similar stuffs in Gangtok too but the choices are limited and prices are high. However, this time I was in for a big disappointment. For one, Ktm has become overtly populated. There were too many people and cars. The choices in clothes too seem to have degraded. I must have scourged so many shops and mall, even went to the brand new Kathmandu Mall during the opening, but had difficulty finding stuffs of my liking. I ended up buying more traditional stuffs like Pashmina shawls and semi-precious stone jewelries/curios. However, I loved shopping in Thamel. Thamel has stuffs which appeal more to "foreign" tourists, but I loved some of the stuffs they had. I went to one shop called "Wild Fibre". They made clothes out of sishnu or nettle. I am not sure if you are aware of Nettle. It is a wild grass found in the Himalayan region. It has its own defense mechanism and is covered with prickly thorns. If you accidentally happen to touch it, it stings like a bee sting. In old times, teachers used to whack naughty kids with sishnu to straighten them up. Some people also cook and eat sishnu like any other saag. So anyway, I was amazed to see clothes made out of it and happily bought a shirt.

While I was there, we got to celebrate Maghe Sankranti. This was the first time I was in Ktm during this festival. Normally on this day we cook (mostly boil) different types of tarul (roots - 9 or more varieties) and eat them. Due to the death of a relative, my mama and family were not celebrating it. So, we were invited to an aunts house to eat tarul. Another custom we follow is the lady of the house puts oil on the head of the other family members - just a drop of mustard oil as aashirwad. I was unaware of this custom as we don't follow it in Sikkim.

Another interesting thing we got to see this time was a procession of a different kind. It seems, on this day, the jyapu people get together and forms procession and goes around visiting temples in Kathmandu. Early in the morning at around 3am, I heard people from our tol or locality playing dholak/maadal waking and calling people. Soon groups of men and women, all wearing their traditional clothes gathered around. When everyone had gathered, they started moving on to the nearest temple which is right there at the chowk. They then move on to the next tol to visit the temple there and so on. They do this the entire day covering more than 300 temples in Kathmandu. And that's not all, they have to visit each temple 3 times.

Makar Sankranti processions

One day before I left for Ktm, me and my parents went to visit Pashupatinath temple. Now, we always make it a point to visit the temple within a few days of our visit, if not the very first day. But this time we just managed to make it on the last day. I love visiting the temple and this time I was pleasantly surprised by the changes in it. The area outside the temple was minus those thali vendors and biggest of all minus the beggars. The place looked so much spacious and clean and even the monkeys seemed much tamed! And we were not allowed to wear slippers! Until the last time I visited, people normally kept their shoes with the thali vendors and they instead gave you plastic slippers which you could wear and go inside the temple compound. This was no longer allowed which, in my opinion was just fine! One funny incident happened there. After the darshan, we approached the man distributing the holi water and when we moved away from him, he asked my dad in hindi bhaisaab kuch di jiye or something of that sort. Now, in many people's opinion, both my parents don't have the typical Nepali look and many think my dad looks like a North Indian. So my dad turned to this guy and asked in newari "and how much do you want?" You should have seen the man's face. Me and my mom were laughing so much. Poor guy was shocked to hear a madisey talk in newari leave alone nepali!

All these days, I had been trying to escape from my parents for a while and go visit Silky Moon. As you all know by now I had gone to visit her. Well, she had given me her phone no. long time ago and it was in my email. I had planned to pen it down from home in Sikkim before I left for Ktm. Unfortunately, my internet was not working and I was unable to visit any internet cafe. Same thing happened in Ktm too. Luckily I knew her workplace and my brother often does business with them so he knew where the place was. So I was hoping that someday I will just be able to get away with my brother and have him drop me there. Twice we managed to "escape" but unluckily were called back home for some or the other reason. My parents knew I wanted to visit this friend of mine, so having no option left, that day on the way back from the temple, I went to visit SM, taking along my parents. Yeah yeah Ricky, I can hear you snickering, but it wasn't so bad :P

I approached her workplace and asked the guard if I can meet Ms...... He asked me who I was, I was tempted to give my name as Colors, but then he looked serious kinds, so I told him I am .... from Sikkim. He called up SM ma'am and asked us to wait in the lounge. As we were browsing around the place, I was excited as ever....will she be surprised to see me, how will we react to each other, will she scold me for not contacting her earlier...all these thoughts were running in my mind, when I suddenly felt someone rush up to me and give me a huge hug. I was taken aback with surprise at such a warm welcome! How the next hour or so went by, is kinda hazy. I was so excited to meet her...this being my first time meeting a blog friend. It was also awkward coz we could only speak generally due to my parents presence. I had so much to ask and tell. I was feeling bad that it had to be like this but at the same time excited abt the whole aspect of meeting her. She remembered my love for momos and fed me with yummy paneer momos. I could feel that she wanted to offer me with her hospitality, had planned loads of stuff to do when we met, but due to my lack of time, I had to disappoint her. So many times she called me badmaash for not having met her earlier or atleast called her :P She truly is as genuine as reflected by her blog and posts. Warm and caring, that's the first thing you will notice about her. Even though we met for a very short time, I could feel very comfortable with her...as if this was not our first meeting, that we have known each other for a long time. Soon it was time for us to leave. She rushed off to somewhere and came back with a gift for me - a book, Journey to the Self by a Nepali author Luna Shrestha Thakur. I was touched by this gesture and we parted with a huge hug once again. As I left the place, I had a smile on my face and a warmth in my heart. Thats the way SM makes you feel by her sincerity and affection.

During the last days of my stay in Ktm, the Maoists had lifted the cease fire and a curfew was declared in the city on my last day from 11pm onwards. That evening, we went to the famous Nanglo restaurant for dinner. As we were walking in front of the restaurant, I saw a well dressed stylish young man and felt he looked familiar. Suddenly it struck me, it was Nima Rumba, Nepal's famous pop sensation! He was walking along with his friend and some young kids were calling his name and teasing him. Funny thing was that I hardly recognize any of the Nepali celebs. The only reason I recognized him was that one of my friend in Gangtok had shown me her picture with him when he had come to Gangtok recently. Due to the curfew, we were carrying just our wallets and had left our camera and cell phones at home. I wonder even if we did have a camera, would we have done anything, since we just looked at him and walked pass him without giving him any bhav. My brush with Nepali celebrity.

The next day we reached the airport well ahead of time. Like many flights that day, our flight to Bhadrapur (nearest Nepali airport from Sikkim) was delayed, but luckily it wasn't cancelled like many other domestic flights. Had that happened, we would have been left in the lurch with the all day curfew starting next day onwards. The aircraft was so tiny, it wasn't even funny. One seat on either side of the aisle and just a flimsy curtain separating the cockpit. The flight was not that scary or maybe I was so engrossed in the view outside that I didn't notice. The view was amazing as you can see Mt Everest and surrounding mountains.

From Bhadrapur, we took a taxi till Kakarbhitta which is the bordering town between Nepal and India. There our driver was waiting for us with the car. After some grocery shopping in Siliguri, we moved on and reached Gangtok in the evening.

Book read during this period...The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble
Next...my last week in India

23 comments:

fursat said...

Me Phirssst!!

I wanna goto CAT-MAN-DO too for coming first!! I will read and comment later tonite...:-)

This post will require a big comment looking at its length...

Anonymous said...

your travelogue is sooo nice, I can virtually visualize the activities! of course the photographs do help.

Happy Holi to ya Colors !!!

Moonie

fursat said...

I had heard that Nepal has better taxis than India. It's amazing however bad the traffic in that part of the world can be but still most people reach their destinations safely. I am missing my Mama-Mami now...:-(

This actually is very close to how things happen when I visit my Mama-Mami in Jamshedpur. Maybe because even when I was in India, I used to seldom visit them.

You told me about the exhibition and it looked pretty neat. Baby massage is getting popularity in Canada too.

fursat said...

The pictures are excellent. Darbar Square gives a feel of an old town and like not much has changed there in centuries.

You and your shopping...**sigh**

It was nice to read about Nettle. I didn't had a clue about it. Now be honest and tell us how many times have you been whacked by sishnu...LOL

I think SM had published pictures of Makr Sakranti (or some festival where everyone dresses Red). It's so nice to read about all the different customs. The procession is kinda similar to how we have Nagar Kirtan in punjabi culture. Although, 300 temples is a little too much. We are lazy so we only goto one gurudwara after that...hehe.

fursat said...

I have heard a lot about Pashupatinath temple. Yea, your parents don't have Nepali look at all.

So, finally you met the famous blogger from Nepal, Miss Silky Moon. **snickering**

LOL @ tempting to give the name Colors. He would had laughed and said ok then I am B&W. Oops...PJ.

I wanna eat paneer momos too...
:-( Yea, she wrote you as badmaash on her blog too. So, I was not completely off...LOL

It was very nice of her to gift you a book. It's also good to know that she is exactly like her posts indicate, a geniune girl with good heart.

So much for being Nima Rumba...LOL

I have sat in small aircraft in Canada too and it was so small that I thought it won't be able to lift off coz its engine was running in full throttle and you could hear them struggling.

Lovely picture to end an amazing travelouge. Loved reading through it. I am impressed by your choice of books.

Anonymous said...

great! bahot mazaa karke aayee ho...your travel posts have reminded me of my time in sikkim and now i really want to go back there once again. I loved it....and shopped in gangtok too ..i also remember bargaining like crazy with the storekeepers there :)

Colors said...

Ricky, :) yeah yeah as always u r first. It took me 2 days to write this post :P

Colors said...

Hey SM, oooh....u missed it by a bit...pls try harder since even I am tired of seeing Ricky first always :)

Hehe...yeah it turned out to be pretty long...was planning to do it in 2 parts..but then as it is I was already late..didnt wanna delay further. Take your time...

Hope you too had a lovely Holi!

Colors said...

Hie Moonie, Thankssss sooo much! :)
Happy Holi to you tooo

Colors said...

Ricky, thats coz in old days Nepal used to have Toyotas etc whereas India had Marutis and Ambassadors. Now its all the same.
Yeah Patan makes you feel like you have gone back in time...its lovely!
Being whacked with sishnu is worse than being caned...I have never experienced it, but once I touched the leave by accident and my finger hurt for 2 days or more! Brrr!!
:) Yeah it was so nice of her to gift me the book....and the book itself is so simple and geniune...just like her!

Thanks for liking them...:)

Colors said...

Hey Kaush, so good to see you here....Shoppping is great anywhere...wat say ;-) And of course if you get a good bargain...then its like icing in the cake!

Anks said...

Hey colors... that was quite a trip... reminded me of my own trips to delhi... when we try to cram shopping, sightseing, relatives visiting et all in a span of 3-4 days!

so, have you tried your nettle shirt?

Colors said...

Hi SM, had to take out time to respond to ur comments :) Thanks for your lovely comments. Yeah I was dissappointed seeing all Khasa items all over the place.

I loved the new types of Pashmina..the "water-shawl" is perfect to wear with the kinds of clothes I wear here. I came to know abt clothes from hemp etc when I read an interview of the guy who owns Wild Fibers..its really amazing!

:P I seriously didnt know about the procession on Sankranti. For one, we were never in Nepal during this time of the year. But, if I am not mistaken, I had come to understand that they were having such a procession after many years..is that so?

Yeah it was nice seeing Pashupatinath finally being maintained so well. LOL, I look more Nepali in reality than in pics??? hehe

Colors said...

:) What to say....I am glad you enjoyed my parents company as well. I sure wish we could have spent more time....I was really touched by your welcome..it was definitely unexpected :) The book is beautiful...the language is so simple and touching. It was a perfect gift...thank you sooooo much!!!

Hehe..yeah I saw Nima Rumba...he looks exactly the same as in his videos and pics ;-) He is cute. I have few songs of his but not "Huri Bataas.." This time I got lots of nepali songs and videos...I have Nima Rumba's Saanjh Ma Pani video...the video is great. I believe the quality of Nepali videos are really good....much better than most Indian videos. Once I consolidate all the songs I have, I will try sending you a list. But I doubt I will need more songs...I have so many already :))

Hey you know my curr fav is the remix of "Chyangba ho Chyangba" :D

Colors said...

Hey Anks...yeah the trip was hectic but packed with fun! I did try my nettle shirt few days ago...and guess what...it didnt sting!!!! :P

Colors said...

Hey SM, Thanks for the song..its nice..music is somewhat like old hindi hip songs...haina?
Not sure if I have those songs, but I've heard "miss catwalk" :P I dont think I've heard the gazals as well..hehe u can see my exposure to nepali songs are quite limited....I love Narayan Das songs tho.

Believe me, I am with you regarding remixes. I love the original chyannga song too. But this new craze over Nepali rap seems to have caught me too. I mean how often have u heard Hindi rap songs?...so its diff & nice to hear rap in language other than English. Infact I also love "She's da bomb" LOL....

Anonymous said...

hey colors....sounds like u had a great time. lovely pics. i have never travelled to those parst myself, but w0ould simply love to.-RS

The Bhandari's said...

oh great vistual trip I had to kathmandu.. lovely
First time posting comment here although have visited few times :) lovely blog out here and now I'll make a point to visit to Kathmandu once in my life
~preeti

Colors said...

Hey RS, good to see you here. Thanks. Yeah, I would definitely recommend you visit the Himalayan regions....its quite an experience.

Hi Preeti, Welcome to my blog. Good you left a comment this time or else I wud never know, isnt it? Thanks for liking my post...I hope you get to go there sometime :)

Anonymous said...

Great to read about places/shops/restaurants one knows about :-) Plus , of course the photographs...and that too of Kantipath overhead bridge :-))

The song 'chyangba hoye' (remix) is 'the' in thing these days here - u can hear it here, there, everywhere ...

Talking of songs, I really like Deepak Bajracharya's music. I bought two of his albums and both are great!

LOL@taxis - but then they are my lifeline here - and the drivers are much better than Delhi ones/autowaalas - at least, they dont say no to anyone even for a short distance, and hvnt been fleeced by anyone exorbitantly - Delhi is known for that!!! But, they can be pretty conservative in their 'service' in the sense that if one is carrying some luggage, they really dont come out to help unlike their delhi counterparts!

The write-up is extremely well written!

Anonymous said...

I hv seen the Wild Fibre shop at Thamel (and their stuff at a restaurant, prob Northfields Hotel and Restaurant).

But hv never bought anything. Will check it out now

Colors said...

Hi DJ, was waiting for your comments :) Do check out some more pics of Sikkim and Nepal @ Flickr. When I was in Patan Museum, I was thinking about you and your 'Independence Day' story.

You see, 'Chyangba Hoi' is a very old and popular song...and to hear this roop of the song was refreshing! Same for 'Kanchi hey Kanchi'. I recently got chance to finally listen to all the Nepali songs I got from home..and it was great fun to hear 'Nepali Hip Hop'. Girish and Unity is cool! I have only heard Deepak Bajracharya's 'Na Na Na' which is quite nice!
That reminds me, how much Nepali have you learnt? You must be fluent by now!

Thanks for liking the post...feels good to be appreciated by an awesome writer like yourself :)

Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I contemplate the list inform should prepare more info then it has.