Wednesday, September 14, 2005

US Open 2005

After having watched the US Formula 1 Grand Prix race live thrice already, I seem to have been hooked on live events. So few months ago when my dear friend Rashmi proposed watching the US Open Tennis Championship live, me and V immediately agreed. We agreed on watching the women's final coz that was on a Saturday leaving Sunday free for travel plans back home. So, other friends were asked and tickets were booked and all necessary arrangements were made. Little did I know that time that I would actually be in New York and acting as 'host' to my friends.

Come Saturday morning, and V along with 2 more friends arrived at my 'home' in New Jersey after a night long 12 hrs drive. My dear friend and landlady had already prepared food for them in spite of her hectic schedule to pick up her husband getting discharged from the hospital the same morning and having to drop her son to his classes.

V and my friends enjoyed a hearty South Indian luncheon after which we left for the hotel for them to freshen up. While the guys were getting ready, I watched the men's semi-finals between Agassi and Ginepri on TV. This was my crash course to tennis. Yes, I have never watched a single match completely and didnt exactly know how the points were given. We soon left and by then Rashmi and her hubby too were on their way to the stadium where we were all supposed to meet.

Meeting Rash again after a few months times felt great. We were worried that the Ashe Stadium being so huge, we wouldn't have a good view of the court and hence the game. As we entered, we got the US Open 2005 caps as freebie :-). Initially we felt the crowd turnout wasn't great and thought Maria Sharapova not being in the finals as the reason for it. But soon the court filled up pretty well.

Being a novice in the game, I wouldn't be able to say much about it. As the inauguration function was going on, I was more interested in spotting a celebrity through the bino. I was rewarded and saw Donald Trump sitting right opposite to us! V also showed me John McEnroe which he told me is one the greatest players ever. See, how awful my GK is about tennis! The view was great and watching the entire match live was pretty cool. The match started and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It went on well and soon I was getting really involved in it. However, at that point Mary Pierce's play started declining and it was soon obvious who the winner is gonna be. Sadly the game continued for just 2 sets and got over in almost an hour!

It was touching to see how Kim Clijsters, as soon as she beat Mary Pierce, ran up through the crowd to hug her family members. That was so sweet. The funny incident happened during the boring speech given by the CEO of JP Morgan Chase during the prize giving ceremony. I guess the man has attended too many company merger functions or something like that, coz in his speech he referred to the two finalists as "two wonderful firms". He realised his mistake and immediately corrected it. But by then it was too late and the crowd started booing him! LOL!

So overall, it was a fun event. Something to add to my 'Been there, Done that' list. Of course getting to meet V again added whole lotta flavor to it. Now I need to do something about 'Watch a live Rock show' in my to-do list.

13 comments:

^rashmi^ said...

Hey colors,
Guess what I am very much looking forward to book tickets for rolling stone's(mostly last)concert!!! r u interested? It's on Feb 1,2006 but tickets will be gone in no time if we don't book now, what do you say?

Colors said...

Hey Rash! That sounds great..where will the concert be? I'll talk to V and get back to you. Thanks! Though am not their big fan, but they are the greatest touring band ever..so shouldnt miss it! BTW, send me the US Open pics yaar!

Anonymous said...

oh!! so u r the 1 whom i saw on TV in the audience watching the match with a confused look..hehe (just kidding)

Colors said...

Chandu :P Hehe...didnt u see me waving at you?

Anonymous said...

Happy Onam!!! I hope V is taking you out for Onam Saadam!

Moonie

Anks said...

Wow....... you are havin loadsa fun!!!! :)

Nupur said...

Crash in Tennis and then a live Celeb hunt!! :D LOL!!!

Well... I can say same pinch to you for Grand Slam tennis as well, just like Grand Prix!
And you go and see a live concert quick and then we'll be same for that too!! My first concert was "Enrique"!!

Anonymous said...

Errr,,,can I like...totally...have your JOB?? Seems to me you're always doing SOMETHING! Or maybe I'm just old...sigh...-RS

Anonymous said...

How can you not know about tennis? ***surprised look***

Tennis is my favourite game after cricket and I play it whenever I can get some time. Infact, I goto the tennis court almost every second day. It's such a fun game to play.

Ok, so your uncle is discharged from the hospital?? That's good.

I am sure V and the guys must have been disappointed with Sharapova not in the FINAL. So sad. None of the two girls were good looking. I mean Pierce is fine but has a really long nose, that's distracting.

Oh you spotted Donald Trump...ha ha. Did he do something about his stupid hair-piece? And was his HOT wife there too?

Morgan speech incident was funny....LOL.

You keep on attending these cool things and we all will be happy to read about them...:-)

***But Seriously, how can you not know how to play tennis***

wise donkey said...

:)) at chase

Great to know u had a good time.
colors just now wondered the festivals u celebrate. do let me know so that i can wish u on those occassions:)

Anonymous said...

awww am i envious or what...what with all these fun things you are doing....but am glad! and phew I finally have some breathing time to visit you all!:)

Colors said...

Hey Moonie Happy Onam to you too! Wish V was with me then we could have done something.

Hi Anks:-) I try to grab as much time with V as possible and make the best out of it. Till now we've been lucky to be able to visit all these places.

Hey Nupur ..hehe, no wonder Ricky says we r similar! I will try for the concert thingie too though I doubt it'll be Enrique ;-)

C'mon RS, your life is soo exciting! I love reading abt ur ever eventful life n family

Colors said...

Ricky:) Whats so surprising abt not knowing tennis. I am not much of a sports person. The only time I thoroughly enjoyed (watching) sports was probably the inter-school football matches with out top competitor school!!
Yes, 'uncle' is back home and doing good.
Haha...yes not only V but I am sure many more guys were dissappointed that Sharapova wasnt there. Many people were supporting Mary Pierce just coz Kim defeated Sharapova :-)
Yea yeah..Donald Trump was there with both his hair-piece and wifey.
And YES, I didnt know about Tennis!! Wanna ask one more time? :P

Hey Gaya. how r u?Good to see u back! As for my festivals, we celebrate most of the popular hindu fests like the rest of india. Dasain (Dushera/Durga Puja) and Tihar (Diwali) are the important ones.

Hey Kaush, great to see u back too! Am still waiting to read more details abt ur India trip. You know what i mean! :P