Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Colors of the Mountains - Part 3

UPDATE: Photos of Day 3 has been added. Please click on the pic below to see more!
On Monday morning, after breakfast we started towards the Rocky Mountain National Park. The national park is supposed to showcase the grandeur of the Rocky Mountains. It is also known for various wild animals spotting. First stop was Estes Park which is small valley town lying next to a beautiful lake and surrounded by the majestic mountains. On the way, we saw cute and fluffy version of llamas. Later we came to know these animals are call Alpacas and are cross between llamas and sheep. Though we didnt get to take pics of the animals, I downloaded one from the internet just so to give you an idea.

We decided to take two trails, one to the Bear Lake and other that goes all the way around, the Trail Ridge Road. We first headed towards the Bear Lake. About 1/2 hr before the Bear lake is the Sprague Lake. We stopped there planning to take horse ride to the Bear Lake. But we came to know we had to handle the huge horses ourselves! The guide would be at the lead but we wont be attached to the guide! That made me back off though V and another friend still wanted to go ahead. In the end we chucked off the idea and instead drove to the Bear lake. Oh the lake was soo beautiful! We spent some time there enjoying the nature and cliking numerous pictures.

We then drove back to Estes Park for lunch. As we were strolling through the town, we saw another Nepali restaurant, Nepal's Restaurant. Due to the previous day's experience, I was sceptical about going there, but my friends insisted. Once again we ordered chicken momos apart from other indian dishes. The guy, probably the owner's son, was pretty cute. When I spoke to him in Nepali, he started grinning from ear to ear :P. The momos were awesome, just the kinds we get back home - juicy and hot. Even the tomato chutney had til in it. The rest of the dishes were also equally yummy. We all stuffed ourselves to the full. The guy kept hovering around our table looking at me and giving me a huge smile. He even put on Nepali music. Of course, my friends immediately pounced on me and started teasing me. V joined in with them too!

After food I chatted with the guy generally asking him how long they had been there and so on. Later his father also spoke to me, asking me all kinds of questions like where I am from, if I am studying or working etc. Finally he asked me if I am single! LOL! That was enough to get my friends really started. They were pretty sure the next thing the old man is gonna do was ask me if I would like to marry his son!

As we were all too stuffed to start on the 2nd trail which was more than 2 hrs of driving, we decided to go to the top of a small mountian on a cable car and come back refreshed. This ride too was good which gave us a breath taking view of the valley town. On returning from the ride, we moved on to the 2nd part of the trail. If I had thought the drive from Denver to Estes Park was beautiful, then this drive was simply out of the way - the winding road, the looming mountains so close by, the chilly wind... On the way we even managed to spot some elks...not once, but twice! We were so excited and felt ourselves to be very lucky.

Reaching an elevation of over 12,000 feet above sea level, Trail Ridge Road is the highest continuous highway in the US. All through the trail, there are many points where you can step out of the car and enjoy panaromic views of the different parts of the mountain range and various glaciers. By the time we completed the trail, it had become dark and we were all dead tired. We had to drive back to Denver as I had to catch my flight back. It was 11 pm when we reached the hotel. I got ready in a hurry and they dropped me at the airport. My flight was at 12.40am and I reached New York at 8.30am tuesday morning....straight to work!

So thats was the end of another wonderful trip. Hope you all liked the travelogue and the pictures. Will upload the pictures of the Day 3 tomorrow.


The Bear Lake
Originally uploaded by Pukuli Colors.

13 comments:

Nupur said...

Gold Mera!!!!

Nupur said...

LOL!! That pre-proposal enquiry reminded me of a couple such incidents here in Oz and when I was on a world trip visiting lost-lost relatives on the way!! :)

And then.... back to reality!
Oops...there goes gravity!!

Colors said...

Hey Nupur! You definitely get the gold! That was fast. I wasnt even done with editing! LOL..the incident was indeed funny..and a source of entertainment for my friends, not only for the rest of the trip, but even now! I am sure you too must have had a 'good' time :P
Eminem! But whats the context? *scratching my head*

Anonymous said...

Dama Nupur, you beat me to it. I will read later as I am leaving the University to walk back home. Ciao...Me second by the way...:)

Anonymous said...

wow... trip down rocky mountain with frnds... nepali restaurants on d way... kya baat hai... seems like the entire route was swarming with nepali restaurants!! hehe.. liked d description of d old man... u sure had lots of drives.. i actually dont like the drive part of trips.. tas cos u r stuffed in a car n i dont enjoy tat much... i wud have taken the horse ride i fi were u...:)

good tat u had fun... straight to work d next day.. don't u need sleep dear?

Anonymous said...

Now u need a vacation from your vacation!! V better work fast before u get snapped up by Nepali father-son duos ;)
-RS

patiala pataka said...

hey colors,

dun worry about the tagging...lol..enjoy your mountains!

Anonymous said...

*smile* I hope alarm bells are ringing in V's ears !! :))

Moonie

Anonymous said...

The Bear Lake photo is actually just like a poster ... serene and calm and beautiful.

Amazing account.

LOL@ father-son duo and the 'marriage proposal' ... well now V better act fast!

Colors said...

Ricky...*drumming my fingers*, still waiting.

LOL Sadik, I know! Can you imagine, all these years (6yrs in Pune and 2 yrs here) I had been dying for a Nepali food. And when I get it, its one day after another! Bhagwan jab deta hai..etc etc :-)
I love long drives..specially night time and when I am not the driver. Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps all over!
I so badly needed sleep. I had a fitful sleep during my flight and needed loads of caffeine all day long :-)

Colors said...

Haha RS, thats a good idea! In fact, most of the people in my workplace got off from 14-16, but I didnt since I am the only person available for support in my platform :(.
Yeah, this should have jolted V..but *sigh*, he too enjoyed the episode thorougly!

Hey Rakesh, I will definitely take up the taggie next!

:) Moonie, like I told RS, V enjoyed all this! He is not at all feeling threatened !!

Thanks DJ :-). I hope V gets the message...if not I will refer him to you all. You guys make him realise :P

Anonymous said...

Excellent Travelouge!! Mazaa aa gaya padh ke.

I just loved reading about all the places you just mentioned. This place looks very similar to Canada in terms of lakes because we have so many of them out here.

Again Nepal Restaurant...Oh NO!!

Although, this time it looks you had much more fun. I am sure you also must be ***grinning*** seeing a cute Nepali guy checking you out.

When in the last post you wrote, marriage proposal...here's what I thought...

V goes away for a while after making some excuse. You are somehow sitting alone on a side table near the lake. Suddenly you see a guy coming on horse, wearing Nepali cap (looks like V...infact he is V) and singing..."Kanchi O Kanchi re" and proposing......sigh. Now, that I have given you an idea V, do something soon...LOL.

I will comment on your pictures later for sure...:-)

Colors said...

Hey Ricky, thanks for liking it :-). Hehe..the Nepali restaurant episode was fun :-).
Your 'thought' sounds soo romantic...except for the Kanchi re song..thats a bit too far-fetched :P. I will definitely have to make V read this and let him know what expectations people (and hence, I) have from him! Also, I now get an idea of how you are going to propose!Good going! :-)