Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Independence Day

On Saturday the Indian community in Columbus, IN had organized a small function to celebrate the India Independence Day. They held drawing competition for kids. I went and attended the function with the prospect of getting to eat samosas. The turnout of people and kids were more than expected so me and V had to rush to a store to get extra gifts for the kids and also get additional chips and soda. The function ended with snacks and drinks. I was lucky to get the last samosa left!

On 15th Aug, though we didnt have any ID parade, a few of us still managed to attend a parade. This parade was organised by the people of Columbus in the honour and to celebrate the winnings of Tony Stewart. Tony Stewart is the current Nasscar champion and his hometown is Columbus. Thousands of Tony fans and friends lined up the streets of the tiny downtown. Almost everyone was wearing his team color orange. Thats the beauty of having a celebrity from a small town like this. The people are so genuinely happy and proud. Felt nice to be a part of this function.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me First :D

Hope no one barges in ...

Anonymous said...

Great to see u enjoyed ID, and managed to get the last solitary 'samosa' ( shucks, my mouth is watering - aaj jaata hun khaane ke liye :-))

Small towns, places always are more cohesive and enjoy things better. I am all for smaller places :-)

Anonymous said...

BUgger! BUgger! my comment got swallowed uo by big bad comment box that made it disappear! Oh well..here goes again. I a so thrilled that you could go out and celebrate IDay! Excellent! I didnt go to any celebration here in LOndon but made up for it by listening to Patriotic songs all day with great gusto! Ham laaye hain toofal se kishti nikaaal ke, is desh o rakhna mere bachho sambhal ke...

Nupur said...

Samosa????
Drolllllllll!!! My mouth is watering...


Great pics Colors and I'm glad ur ID was good! ID used to pass by dry n dull every year..never been to any Indian community celebrations. :( I should go.....

Anonymous said...

So, did you took part in the competition or what? What did you win...he he...and most importantly what did you drew?

Lemme guess what you would like to draw if given a chance: Mountains and lakes (Tsongo was it??) reminding you of your beautiful Sikkim with it's green mountains, blue lakes and beautiful local people...

Nascar is some phenomena in US. I have heard about Tony Stewart but I am not a big NASCAR fan though I can see how it can make a small town excited.

Nice pictures by the way. I see some blondes, which is always refreshing...lol

Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot all about the Samosa...damn...how could I...well, I ate Samosa too during Bunty and Babli, so am kinda satisfied.

Samosa...ummm..Droooooooooool...

Colors said...

Hey DJ, here's your gold. So, did u have samosa..if I were you, I would add in chaat too!

Hi Princess Aww..dont u just hate it when something like that happens? Patriotic songs..for a change..this yr I didnt listen to a single one!!! Strange!

Hi Nupur, LOL I remember you thinking you should go to these desi function once before too during some festival. Maybe you should now!

Hey Ricky, you and your jokes! Anyway..the girls in minis that you were talking about are actually old bagpipers in kilts :P. Heehee. Yeah me too not a fan of Nascar..but since Tony is from my hometown(in US)..it was nice :-)

Anonymous said...

Very funny ...HA HA (that was a sarcastic laugh)

I was talking about the blonde in orange cap, pink T and blue denim shorty shorts...lol

Colors said...

:P Are you sure? Anyway she is with the kid...she could be his mommy! Wish the pic would be clearer for your viewing pleasure..but that was the clearest I could get with my cell phone camera.