Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Of diets and witches

The whole of last week I was on the GM diet. I followed it diligently with the hope to shed few of my extra pounds. 5 days into it and to my disappointment, I had lost only about 2 pounds. Now I had done this diet before too, but only for 4 days and that too cheating once in a while and I had lost like 4 pounds then. So I was hoping for better results this time.

Come Friday evening and me and my friend SR left for Stamford to V's place. By the time we reached, all three of us were famished and we decided to meet at a very popular 60's diner style restaurant called Lucky's. V told us about this amazing hot dog you get there. My diet for the 5th day consisted for beef, so I thought, what the heck, why shouldn't I try it. Anyway, my weight didn't show much difference and my interest in the diet was diminishing. So we all dived into the hot dogs. Man! Were they good....seriously the best hot dog I've ever had! Lucky's shot up to My Favorite Restaurant list from my Place I Like to Eat list.

Saturday morning me and V drove to Boston, Massachusetts to meet V's friend who was there for a few weeks. The weather was lovely - sunny, bright and warm. In the eve we went to Boston downtown. Boston downtown is somewhat like NY's financial district, but cleaner and less crowded. Lots of big old time buildings with beautiful architecture. Just as we were thinking of taking a walk to get the feel of the city, it started to rain. Having nothing much to do, we decided to watch a movie. Zodiac was the only movie whose timing suited us and the story interested us. It turned out to be a decently entertaining movie, except that I felt it was a bit too lengthy.

On Sunday we decided to visit the town of Salem which was about 20 mins drive. As many of you might be aware, Salem, MA has always been linked with witches and witchcraft in pop culture. Even Sabrina the teenage witch's cat is named Salem. Ever since I had been to the US, Salem has been in my list of places to visit, so I was quite excited by the prospect of going there.

The reason Salem is synonymous with witchcraft is due to the infamous 1692 Salem Witch Trials where 19 innocent people were accused of being witches and were hanged to death. We went there hoping it to be some kind of a ghost town with freaky stuff. Sadly, it turned out to be an over hyped place. The town itself is beautiful with lovely architecture. Many of the touristy places were closed for the season. However, the Salem Witch Museum was open and we reached there just in time for their rendition of the trails. We bought the tickets and were ushered inside the theatre. The show started eerily enough but we soon realized it was just a bunch of stationary mannequins placed in different sets depicting the 1692 events that lead to the killings with a booming recorded voice over. Once the show was over, expecting more museum stuff, we moved around, but were sorely disappointed to see that they just had a souvenir shop which for some weird reason were selling Rajasthani glass work purses among other equally unrelated things. It was a complete money ripping set up!

After that our interest to see other 'witchy' locations went away and we decided to head back. It made me realize how they say in India, tourists get ripped off their money at the tourists places there. Now I can say we are much better than how its done here. In India people cheat to fill their stomachs, but here its the entire town cheating the tourists. What a sham!

10 comments:

fursat said...

Seriously, the person who named the diet as GM diet is some genius (sarcastically speaking). I mean GM has the biggest trucks among all. But why dieting in first place, you look good just do light exercises or go for a walk and you will be fine.

I don't think we have "Lucky's" here but I thought NY was more famous for hot dogs than any place else.

I haven't even heard of Zodiac :|

fursat said...

I had heard about Salem and witchcraft but didn't knew in detail. There are a lot of rip-off places here too but usually I find that most good places give value for your buck :)

Anonymous said...

diets & exercise....Gosh...I need to start working out this weekend onwards...as per a promise I've made to myself....

The only American style diner I have been to is Starky's in Chennai..& the place was lovely...though we had veggie stuff...which was not very much recommended...

Rajasthani stuff @ the souvenir shop :)..India Mahaan hai!!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting read.

Err..dieting, i wish i cud do it too...

Colors said...

Ricky, thats why they developed the diet, since their employees were competing with the trucks :P.

:) Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment, but seriously, I do need to shed some pounds :(

Yeah, the initial hot dog did come from NY, from Coney Island, not NYC. Have you heard of Nathan's Hot Dog?

Kaunse zamaane mein rehte ho? Zodiac nahi pata?

Did you know there's a town called Salem in Tamil Nadu? It has nothing to do with witches though :)

Colors said...

Mehak. I dont know abt you, but I certainly needed to work out! Had been making unfulfilled promises for a long time..finally decided enough is enough and got myself an elliptical trainer. Nowadays I have been working out regularly for 4-5 days a week :D

Yea, sadly american food doesnt have much to offer in the veg section. For veg, Indian cuisine rocks!

Here in US, you find almost every article of clothing and 'oriental' furniture and accessories from India. Pretty amazing how they've spread out

Colors said...

Hey DJ, LOL..don't worry...there are lots of us who can't either.

Moonie said...

Drop the diets and hit the gym people :D!!!

btw, colors, drop V too :D :P ;) ha ha haha mujhe woh tedha lagta hai!!

Colors said...

Hey Moonie, u r right, diets dont work! I've been working out for a month now, and feel good abt myself.
Hey why do u say that :) Woh bilkul seedha hai!

Moonie said...

Yes, workout is best way to keep healthy. Also be wary of "Ideal" weight charts, most of them are borrowed from ramp walk models ;) :P
Incidentally, there are some very interesting options instead of usual exercises and gym e.g. Skipping, Cycling, playing squash!