Tuesday, November 28, 2006

On books

Lately I have been reading quite a number of books. Even during my trip to India, I managed to finish four books, Tuesdays with Morrie and Five People You Meet in Heaven both by Mitch Albom, The Innocent Man by John Grisham and How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got A Life by Kaavya Viswanathan.

The highly acclaimed Tuesdays with Morrie is a true story about Mitch Albom and his dying professor, how the professor, the young man's mentor remains to be his coach on life even till his last breath. It is a touching story and I highly recommend it.


After Tuesdays with Morrie, Mitch Albom came up with Five People You Meet in Heaven. This too is a lovely read highlighted by the author's simple writing style. The story is about a man who upon his death goes to heaven and meets five people who have had been unsuspectingly pivotal influence in his life.

My third read is the first non fiction by John Grisham. You've got to admit, Grisham's talent makes even a true story seem like a thriller and make the book so unputdownable. It is the story of a man who had been unjustly sentenced for murder.


I read the controversial Opal Mehta just coz my dad had a copy of it and for some reason kept it by my bedside for me to read. It is a typical story of a nerdy teenager who changes her lifestyle just so be 'cool' and fit with the hep girls in her high school. Even though the main plot is a common one specially in high school movies, but it has been written in an interesting and funny manner.

I have just completed A Life Less Ordinary by Baby Halder. Many of you might have heard or read about the inspiring story of Baby Halder. She is an icon of courage and determination who in spite of being a domestic worker has managed to write a book on her life which definitely is no less ordinary. I have a special admiration for her since I have met her personally. She is the housemaid of my brother's friend and I have stayed at their place a couple of times. In fact, my brother is also in the book. My brother first showed me the book when it was published in Bengali and Hindi. Even though it is a huge task for me to read in Hindi, I was ready to read it. But then he informed me that the English translation would be soon available. So I decided to wait coz I knew I would get the full impact of the story in English rather than in Hindi.

I am now reading The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. As you all must be knowing, Kiran Desai is the daughter of the famous writer Anita Desai, whose story I remember was part of my ICSE curriculum. This book begins in Kalimpong, West Bengal which is very close to my hometown and is set during the Indian-Nepalese movement during the 80s in Kalimpong and Darjeeling area. I was then a child and still remember the horror stories we used to hear about young guys with guns looting and killing people. Every other day we used to hear about people being killed and heads being hung at gates, infusing strikes which left Sikkim crippled and cut off from the rest of India. I have finished about 1/4th of the book and though I like the story and all, I am not sure if I am enjoying her style.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me put here "Me First" tag :) after ages :D

Anonymous said...

Wow! Post on books.:D

I'm really impressed seeing that you have managed to read so many books! I'm wondering how you could. I also read but I'm not fast like you :P.

"Tuesdays with Morrie" I had mentioned in book Tag. It was on Top of five book list in English. Hope you remember it. I had been recommend by one of friends his other book "Five People You Meet in Heaven" then. It's in my reading list. Yet due to read.

Hey what a coincident. You too reading the book "The Inheritance of Loss" by Kiran Desai. I'm too but you know I'm reading it at office during lunch time. So might I will take a month to finish it :P. Though I've finished upto chapter 7.

And I definitely try to read The Innocent Man by John Grisham, How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got A Life by Kaavya Viswanathan.

Loved this post. And you know why?

:)

Anonymous said...

And yes about the book The Inheritance of Loss, I picked it up to read because it won the prize. And when I read it first para where the Kangchenjunga's name was mentioned. That actually glued me to read otherwise I am not enjoying her style of writing.....

fursat said...

Awesome Post, esp. because I love reading books. You have a really varied and different choice in books. I haven't heard 50% of the books you reviewed here.

Tuesdays with Morrie really looks like an inspirational book. Some people really change our lives.

Five People You Meet in Heaven looks like a really interesting read. I will have to get this one for sure.

fursat said...

I have heard about The Innocent Man by Grisham and he is one of my favorite fiction writers, so it should be an interesting read as you mentioned.

Uncle koi indication de rahee thee kya by keeping the book with the nerdy...oops, hip and cool girl...he he. It's a controversial book but the subject doesn't excite me, its too girly.

fursat said...

Wow!! Your brother is in a book. Look at you, kuch toh sharam karo. Chalo koi na, mere kitaab main you will be in Appendix somewhere...he he he.

I will have to read this (A Life Less Ordinary) now, ab toh ghar ke baat hain. I think it was you only that told me about this book. Interesting, very interesting.

Can you believe it that almost 6 months before The Inheritance of Loss won Booker, I got it from Library but didn't read it because it looked boring and ordinary. I will read the book only to learn about this tragedy because I am Sorry to say that North East has always been neglected by Indian Govt. No wonder that Assam is these days more dangerous place than Kashmir.

Loved reading the post, Colors. Keep writing.

Anks said...

wow... thts a whole lot of reading you are doing...

i've read opal mehta too, and i thought it was a complete stressbuster! a life less ordinary seems quite interesting... let me pick it up... whats it called in hindi?

Colors said...

Is that you Juneli? Wow..you managed to beat Ricky! Thats something I had been waiting to see :P

Thanks for liking the post. Yeah I know how much books mean to you :) I read books normally before going to sleep. I read The Inheritance of Loss once and guess what, even I am in Chapter 7!!!

Hey how come you didnt mention anything abt A Life Less Ordinary? I highly recommend you read it too.

Colors said...

Thanks Ricky :) Yeah I know u read a lot..so do pick up these books.You should like em. Opal Mehta is very girly...but I know u'll read it anyway :P I can send u A Life Less Ordinary, if you want.

Hey Anks, yeah Opal Mehta is quite a refreshing read. The hindi and bengali version of A Life Less Ordinary is called Aalo Aandhari

fursat said...

Oye, kya samjha hua hain mujhe.

Don't send me "A Life Less Ordinary". I am surprised to find that my library has already ordered two copies of that book and so I have it on hold. I will get my first copy as soon as it arrives. She is very famous it seems considering that I cannot find books by authors like Chetan Bhagat in library...lol

sanguine said...

first time here .. forgot how i came tho *embarrassed* ..

very intersting place u have here .. wl come again .. btw i read opal mehta .. didnt like it . john grisham is always good timepass.. the others sound really intersting .

Colors said...

Hmm...let me how u like the book Ricky. You know I havent read a single Chetan Desai yet. I searched for 5 point someone in our bookshop but unfortunately we didnt have one :(

Hi Sanguine, welcome! So nice to see a fresh name here :) Yeah I too love to read John Grisham. Let me know if you happen to read any of the books

Anonymous said...

Who could be else to beat Ricky. Only Me :P. O:-)

Yes, books means a lot that's why I'm in middle of book-ocean :D.
You are in chapter 7 and telling you have read one forth of the book!!!! I thought you are far ahead than me (in reading :P) Hey colour you know na it has 53 chapters!!!! :P. I read upto chapter 10 so far but honestly I'm not enjoying this book. Not at all. But I have to read it as I'v picked it up to read na.

Hey I will read A Life Less Ordinary too. Of course I will read that too. I forgot to mention that. I will try to find the Aalo Aandhari. Actually I love to read the original version rather than the translations. If not then it's sure that I will read the English one :).

Anonymous said...

It's Chetan Bhagat yaar ... but not Desai ;) Lagta hai Desai ka Kitab padhne ka asar hai. :P

You know what few days back I wrote Kiran Mehta instead of Kiran Desai in a mail sent to someone :P. Yeh, Gita Mehta, Nita Mehta ka asar hai :P.

You also have not read the book Five Point Someone Yet!!! If I knew then I would have given that day when you were here. Anyway, now stop for searching. I will send you the books - Five Point Someone and One Night @ Calling Center. You know what my nephew "Ricky" (I think you have seen his photos) is coming on December 19 on his Christmas holiday. He will be here for 20 days only. He is coming after 3 years! I will send the books with him :).

I do have both books signed by Chetan as gift for me :D.

fursat said...

Have you married Chetan Bhagat with Kiran Desai kya?? Chetan Desai?? My friend has ONCC, I will get it from him soon.

Anonymous said...

@ Ricky - So you are also looking for the books by Bhagat. May I send you too? I really loved the Five Point Someone. I gifted it some friends. As the books is meant for it :D. ON@CC is just ok. I didn't enjoy it very much like his first book.

Anonymous said...

LOL @ Ricky's saying. Even it happens then how come bhagat became Desai.

Ricky, hey you know, yesteday in the news there was a Head line Saniya Mirza and Mahendra Singh Dhoni is getting married!!! I got surprised.

But you know what it was a song! Bhojpuri - Saniya ki shadi Dhoni se karadeu ho... something like that!! It's 2 much!

The Bhandari's said...

wow , so many books review at one shot, I got to grab them all and read :)
~preeti

Nupur said...

Wah! I am officially impressed!!!
I havent read any of these books. I actually feel like a dinosaur around here... like I've been out of touch for like soooo long. But hopefully will get my hands on some of these books in the Christmas break and let you know what I think...
CheerS!!

Colors said...

Hey Juneli, I finished the book which left me kinda sad and depressed.
And yes...I meant Chetan Bhagat! LOL my memory sure needs some tuning up! Thats so sweet of you..u really dont have to go through the trouble...and trouble ur nephew too.

LOL, Ricky

Colors said...

Hi Preeti, lemme know when u do!

Hey Nupur :) I normally gobble up books when I'm surrounded by them. I'll look forward to hear ur review. Have a merry christmas!