Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Virginia Trip - I

My weekend trip kick started on Friday. We were given an early release from work. My best friend Dee arrived at Port Authority bus terminal from NJ.

I then took her to see places in NYC. We had 4hrs in hand before our train to Washington DC. We went to Times Square, sat for some time in Bryant Park (I remember some scenes of Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna was shot here. Any idea when its getting released?). From there I took her to see the Grand Central Terminal and then to the UN. I was basically showing her my daily route to work. By then we were totally exhausted, walking so long that too with the luggage. We came back to the Penn Station from where we boarded the train to DC.

We reached DC at around 1.30am. A couple of our friends had come to pick us up. From there we were to go to one's home in Virginia. The Union Station in DC is amongst the most wonderful stations I have ever seen. Its grand and huge like a big hotels lobby. It has a shopping mall and restaurants. Even though the Grand Central Terminal in NY is also quite grand, I like Union Station better...maybe since it has lesser people comparatively?

As we exited the station, we missed an exit and soon we were lost. Guys as always try hard not to ask for directions, so we kept on going and ended pretty messed up. We soon had to call the wife of one friend to tell us the direction. The guy driving was talking to his wife on the phone figuring out the way to the interstate when a cop saw us and pulled us up. I know in many states it is against the law to use the cell phone while driving, and I guess we were close to the White House area, so there were extra security. Thankfully the cop just gave a warning and waived us the fine of $100.00. He even directed us to the correct way to the interstate.

We had moved not more than 3 blocks when we saw another set of blinking lights behind us. There was however a car between our car and the cop car so we were assured that the cops were not behind us again. All of a sudden, the car behind sped up and tried to overtake us from the right. However unluckily for that guy, the right lane ended, and since our car was on his left side blocking his way, he could not make a dash for it and was forced to make a right turn, where another cop car was waiting for him! Though it was a bit scary for a fraction of a second when I thought he is going to dash into us, we felt good later on thinking that we helped the cops nab a runaway!

By the time we reached home, it was 3am. V and a couple of friends were already on their way from Pittsburgh to Virginia. I slept for a couple of hours. By then they had arrived and after breakfast we all started for our vacation.


Next CBBT and Virginia Beach

5 comments:

fursat said...

I was waiting for this travelouge. So, you finally decided to call your friend, Dee...LOL

I so wanna visit NY, not only to meet you but I love the energy of the city.

KANK is releasing on Aug 11. Take a whole bag of tissue paper when you goto that movie.

Did a chai-samose waala came in the train? Pata nahin mujhe kyun lag raha hain that someone did... ;-)

Union station in DC is a beautiful architecture. Awesome!!

fursat said...

Guys don't ask for directions, gals can't drive, so it works both ways...LOL

DC reminds me of scenes from movie Swades. It was also shot near White house.

Wow!! You saw a car chase, lucky you. I so wanna see it one day. Maybe in US... :P

Waiting for the next part.

fursat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anks said...

hi colors,

how have you been? how long the car chase last?

Colors said...

Ricky, Me and V once witnessed a car chase in Indianapolis..Thankfully it was on the other side of the road..in the opposite direction to us. But its not like watchin on TV, where you see the whole length of it. We just saw a line of cop cars speeding by.

Hi Anks, I am doing fine. How abt you? The car chase was very short...had it been longer, I might not have been here to tell you about it! :-|