Thursday, February 09, 2006

Home sweet, beautiful, peaceful Home

The initial week of my vacation went in a kinda daze. I suffered heavily from jetlag and used to wake up early and feel drowsy all day even though I slept quite late in the night.

I remember the 1st day at home, I woke up a bit after 3am. However much I tried, I couldn't get back to sleep. Finally about 4am or so I heard my Dad stirring. Soon he was in his office room fiddling with papers as usual. It was too cold to get out of the bed but too boring to lie down with eyes wide open. Finally I went to chitchat my Dad and when it was almost sunrise time, we went to the terrace to catch the early morning rays over the Kanchendzonga range.

Now, I must tell you, this must have been the first time that I ever watched the sunrise from my terrace. Normally I would have been fast asleep around this time. Maybe I did watch it once or so when a kid, but was too young to remember or to appreciate the beautiful experience.

The dark morning sky was clouded but luckily the mountain range was clear. Soon the sky turned brighter and we could see the orange haze touching the Kanchendzonga peak and gradually spreading downwards towards lower peaks until the entire range (i.e. whatever could be seen from my terrace) and the sky above it were flooded with bright golden orange color. It was breathtakingly beautiful. I felt ashamed to think that all these years I had never taken the effort to get up early and catch this splendid sight where as my dad does it almost every day.

The rest of the week was spent visiting relatives and doing a bit of shopping. I had forgotten how cold it gets in Sikkim. Even though the temperature was much higher than in New York, because the buildings are made of concrete with no central heating, I used to feel very cold. Most of the evenings when I was at home, I would be either in front of the heater and could not sleep without a hot water bag.

My brother had recently made a trip to West Sikkim on bike with his friends. He brought back with him memories of a place more beautiful than East Sikkim and had lots of amazing pictures to prove it. Me and my parents were enthused to make a 2-3 days trip to West Sikkim...but sadly due to lack of time we had to chuck the idea. One morning all of us went for a morning drive to the higher points in Gangtok...the 'view-points'. They are typical tourist spots providing beautiful view of Gangtok as well as the mountain range. I hadn't been there for quite a while and enjoyed doing the touristy thing, taking pictures with the lovely backdrop and all.

I had decided that while I am there, I would do my dental check-up. One fine day I took an appointment, but didn't go. Finally after New Year's day I went grudgingly. The dentist, as soon as she did my check-up started scolding me for taking so long to visit her. It seems three of my wisdom teeth were gonna trouble me and one had to be taken care urgently. I was called back the next day and off came my wisdom tooth. Wish it was a easy as it sounds here, but just to take out that single piece, it took her almost 4 hours. My entire day was spent there and in the end not only me but even she had to take some pain-killers before going to bed! After that I had to visit her almost everyday to have root canal treatment done to another tooth. I often joke that I spent more time with her than with my family.

Book read during this period... Memoirs of a Geisha
Next....The City of Joy

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Koi aur bhi try karo yaar. Ok if no one is interested then ME FIRST...LOL

Anonymous said...

The best way to fight jet lag is to change your schedule as soon as possible to the country you are visiting. Although, its easier said than done and I wouldn't even remember because its been close to 5 years since I have travelled so far.

Aha!! So, father and daughter had a nice time together watching the beauty of nature unravelling itself. I know how lazy you can be to miss it all the time. Maybe you should make up for it and get up early here to watch the sunrise over New York's high rises...lol.

You described it beautifully though. It was as if I was there myself though no words or pictures can describe the feeling you get in person.

Anonymous said...

Hey, did your relatives or family ever feel that you have become a typical-NRI-kind? Just curious. Itna chota sa Sikkim hain and that also you have not visited fully...:-|

Did you goto the dentist coz its cheaper in India..hehe. Even Mom was saying ke Ricky aaja, dentist ko bhi dikha dena..LOL. You certainly need some scolding from time to time it seems (Is V listening?)

Anks said...

you had your wisdom tooth plucked out???
hmmmmmmm

tell me, does that make yuo less wiser???

Anonymous said...

LOL @ less wiser comment. I hope not...ROTFL {Main kuch naa hee bolon toh achaa hain}

Anonymous said...

Hey You updated the book-read part. "Memoirs of a Geisha" is a good movie and so I am hoping that book would be good too. By the way, it's all free for you out there...LOL

Anonymous said...

hey i recently have been to the other side of himalays (dalhousie) & watched what u r describing above. The first rays of sun reflected from the peaks of himalyas. It's a wonderful view! Isn't it?hmm dentist haha u shud have asked KAush to help ya wid that.. u wud have got d treatment free. afterall kaush is too generous!

Anonymous said...

ouch @ dentist! petrified of them myself! sounds so beautiful. where are the pics.??
-RS

Anonymous said...

The morning description is awesome! I hv seen sunrise on hills, but every place has its own unique flavor and attraction.

Did u manage to get pics?

And dentist? LOL , hvnt been to one since ages...maybe when Kaush becomes one, muft mein ho jaayega ;-P

Colors said...

Ricky :) yeah me and dad enjoyed the lovely sunrise. :D Thanks for liking it...just described the way i saw it

Abt ur NRI question, everyone was like..."You look the same!" and "You havent changed at all!". God knows what they were expecting!

As for the dentist, yes I went there for checkup since it was cheaper. I know from V's experience how expensive it is here. Also, I just thot I'll go for a checkup...didnt know I had so many dental problems!!!

Colors said...

LOL Anks, I am as wise as I was. Not more, not less. The reason being that the tooth that was pulled out was just emerging...I was hoping that once its fully grown, I'll check if its true and see if I become wiser...but unfortunately I never got a chance to find out!

Ricky, jinke ghar sheeshe ke hote hai.. etc etc. I hope you get it. :P

Liked the book though didnt find the story great. It was nice to know abt their way of living etc though. Havent seen the movie but the book kept reminding me of Oshin (remember the japanese serial they used to show on TV?) BTW I bought this book here in B&N for my flight home.

Colors said...

Hey Chandu..I agree. Though I had seen such scenes before too, maybe then I used to take Sikkim's natural beauty for granted, so never appreciated it. After living away, do I now understand how wonderful our India is!

Shucks! I forgot...I shud have thought about Kaush! LOL...but let her complete first...i dont want to take any chances ;-)

Hey RS, I'll try to post my pics once I get my laptop back...pakka se!

Hi DJ, thanks! To hear that from u is truly rewarding! I just wrote whatever I saw and felt. Will get the pics soon. LOL...looks like the whole blogworld is banking on Kaush becoming a dentist :D