Tuesday, February 21, 2006

City of Joy

Sorry guys for the delay in posting this. With my daily 4hrs commute and weekends with V, I hardly get time to do much.

Anyway, during the second week of my stay in India, I had to go to Calcutta for my Visa work. I went with my parents, my brother and a cousin. My brother, having studied there, loves the city. For me, I never had a great impression about the place. But this time, I have to admit, I loved it! I had fun shopping, enjoyed the crowd, the road conditions had improved considerably but of course the traffic experience was as harrowing as ever! While travelling around Sikkim, most of the times I had my heart in my mouth. I still shudder to think the way the drivers speed through narrow winding roads. Traffic in Calcutta was no less. I had been warned by many people who 'returned' to India on how they had reacted to the traffic there. However, in spite of being mentally prepared, the moment I was on the roads, I forgot everything and each time another car used to come close to our car, I had to take a sharp breath!

After the cold of Sikkim, the warm weather in Calcutta was a welcome break. I did loads of shopping from New Market to West Side to Shoppers Stop. I was delighted to see how the malls have evolved when I visited the City Centre Mall. But then again was disappointed with my once favorite Sriram Arcade. The ambience and quality of clothes had gegraded horribly! The Swabhumi Heritage Park, which demonstrates arts and crafts of various regions of India, was a treat. The way it had been setup is truly wonderful and I urge everyone in the city to visit it once. It reminded me of the American Native Indian's Cliff Dwellings that I had visited in Colarado. Another wonderful shop that I went to is Sasha. As they have aptly mentioned, it is a shop that offers craft for contemporary living. Though a bit steeply priced, the items they have are truly worth browsing as they have handicrafts from all over the world including India.

Foodwise too I had great time...from Bengali machli to tandoori chicken pizza at Pizza Hut...I had great food all the way with my brother acting as the guide to various authentic bengali food. We spent two days in Calcutta and from there we flew to Kathmandu.

Book read during this period...John Grisham's The Testament
Next...Kathmandu

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I should get some sort of prize for being FIRST so many times on this blog. Right now after reading your post-title I want a Rasogulla

Anonymous said...

Hi Busy Girl,

I have been to Calcutta once on my way to Shillong from Indore but don't remember much about the city as I was 10 months old...LOL

I have also heard about the traffic-shock NRIs get after landing in India. I remember my cousin sister used to scream whenever a car would pass and litreally move away from the seat as if to avoid it...LOL. I don't know how I will react but it looks my curse-quotient will rise. You can't drive in Delhi without cursing anyways...

Anonymous said...

You seem to go on a shopping spree everywhere. Shabhumi Heritage Park reminds me of Dilli Haat in Delhi. You should visit it next time, it's pretty cool. I remember your Colarado trip with pictures of those native caves.

Kya baat hain, lots of yummy food but you didn't mention "Rasogulla"

I am waiting for your Kathmandu log now as I heard that you met someone there..;-)

I read Testament 5-6 years back and it was pretty racy. I love John Grisham's style of writing. I am sure there must be a movie on it too as all his novels have been made into movies.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you had some fun there....great travelogue will wait for the KTM one!!! Take Care!

Anonymous said...

never been to Cal...but have a friend from there who raves about it...please dont describe the food there...depresses me terribly :(
-RS

Anonymous said...

I have a love hate relationship with Kolkata. Love the Sandesh and mishti doi! and now i have discovered the Oxford Bookstore on Park Street-love it!

Anonymous said...

updated myblog by the way...waiting for your comments!

Anonymous said...

Next post please :)

Moonie

Colors said...

LOL Ricky, whatever they said is true...however much you brace urself to the traffic, it still is nerve-racking! Shopping is my fav passtime, after movies.. ;-) Yeah, Swabhumi is like Dilli Haat, though Dilli Haat is much bigger and you get momos there!! :-) Strangely, i didnt eat rosogulla in Calcutta!

Colors said...

Hey Anz..sorry for the wait..will write the Ktm one soon...pakka!

Hello BangaloreGuy, yeah Swabhumi was pretty good...loved the terracotta/jute jeweleries they had!

Hey RS, Cal is good...and people who have lived in Cal loveeee it. My bro is a living example.

Colors said...

Hi Princess, I believe I saw that bookstore! In fact I was staying pretty close by! We might have crossed each other! Dang!

I will go to ur blog right now ...sorry for keeping u waiting :-|

Moonie, *huff* *puff* *pant* *pant*...trying to keep up!

Hi SM, yeah..its a long flight..havent landed yet ;-) Welcome back...shall visit you(-r page) soon!