Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Life

When I first read about Google making available the millions of photographs published in the Life magazine over the years, I was quite excited.

Long years ago, our bookshop used to sell the magazine and I remember leafing through them when I was a kid. Later on, when I was in middle school, I too had caught the "autograph" bug. We all wanted to have the "coolest" autograph or memorabilia book where our friends could write nice things about the owner of the book. I wanted to decorate my auto book with collage of pics of good looking people. So, I turned to these magazines. Our bookshop had closed by then and we had plenty of books and mags at our disposal. I cringe now, thinking of how stupid I was to have cut up such rare mags for the sake of my silly book! Brother, if you are reading this, do you think we still have some of them left? Or did I trash them all??

Anyway, like I said, I was quite excited about the latest Google antics. I have been browsing through the beautiful rare pics. And today I came across this picture.


This picture is from a collection of pictures taken in an Air India flight in 1946. I didn't know Air India even existed in the '40s!! And check out the air hostess' uniform. Its so chic! I wonder when did they change their uniform to the printed saris? Of course, I then went to Wikipedia to quench my thirst for knowledge about Air India and was pleasantly surprised to know that the airline was in fact founded in 1932! Who could have guessed? But the Wikipedia article is incomplete - no mention about air hostesses' uniforms!

Find more interesting Life pictures here.

8 comments:

fursat said...

'Life' is always interesting especially when it comes in picture form :D

Interesting trivia to share and this 'autograph' is something new I have heard (maybe its a girly thing)

Anonymous said...

hey interesting ...let me hop on to the site n browse thru the pics.

Anonymous said...

Sister!
Yes, I do remember those Life having a presence in our lives. Who knows, maybe the photo bug in us came from the magazine.
I remember one Sunday when most of the household trash was being given/sold away.

But I did manage to save some old issues.

I need some money. Maybe we should auction them!

Hehe...

Anonymous said...

Your post reminded me my autograph as well as all the school friends....

Now I realized that when we were kid we don't understand the value of the things...... Now a days, many things what our grandfather and fathers were using are sold as antique piece - The Gramo phone and records, the Big radios, the lighter, the cigarette case, the music instruments - such as Benzo etc and even books and magazines. There were so many things but all were thrown :-(

Thanks for posting this post with the links. I've visited the link. It was really nice to see all the pictures of those era before we born.

Anonymous said...

time for an update.

himalayanreview said...

Hi i am from Sikkim, i visited your blog. it is nice. i wish you could pour some memories of our place too.

http://sikkim-himalayanreview.blogspot.com/

Colors said...

What Ricky, you've never had autograph book in your school days? What about the girls in your class?? I thought it was a very widely popular school phenomenon, specially among girls!

Hi Juneli, I know exactly what you mean. I am glad you enjoyed the pics

Colors said...

Ekta, your wish is my command! Check out my new post :)

Hi Shital, welcome to my blog. Like I mentioned, I have been enjoying your blog for quite a while :) I will definitely write about Sikkim as and when I get something nice to share! Thanks!