Sunday, July 24, 2005

Colors of my life - now

So friends, its been a while since I updated my blog. Life has been moving in the fast lane leaving me with just enough time in the evening to come home, relax a bit and go off to sleep. Though hectic, I am still having a good time. Being new in the city, I do feel lonely and miss V a lot. One good thing is that I have known the family I stay with and they are nice and friendly and my time passes by much better than it would have had I been all alone.

I am now quite used to the routine of my commute. I take the bus to NYC in the morning, walk till the subway, ride in the subway and finally walk till my office. This routine takes me almost 2 hrs. I trace my steps back on the retun trip. So 4 hrs in all and by the time I reach back home it would be 12 hrs since I left it in the morning. I catch up with my sleep during the morning trip. In the evening, initially I had just sat in the bus and observed the people surrounding me. Every time I used to find something interesting to put up in the blog but never got a chance to 'pen' them down. So, now I have started reading. I am now enjoying 'Life of Pi'.

I have now come to recognise quite a few of the 'regulars' in my bus. The desi uncle whom I had met when I went for my interview and he had given me some valuable information and tips on the bus route and how to get around the city. His stop is the same as mine and he never fails to exchange and few words and give me some advice or the other :-). And there are others like the chinki girl who always wears a skirt and balances her sunglasses on her head like a hairband, the desi girl with loud voice when she speaks on the phone, the black woman with loud lipstick color and strong perfume, the white girl with yellow purse, the desi guy who carries a huge knapsack, the black woman with thin short hair who uses gel which makes her look almost bald - but it looks good on her... and there are many more. Almost the same people take the return bus as I do. We are almost like a family...except that no one speaks to each other :-P

I also get a chance to observe people when I work my way to and from the subway platform. The corridors are always spotted with some musicians here and there. Some of them are really good while some are...well, bad! There's this guy who plays the keyboard quite nicely ..he plays the same tune every day and I noticed he checks out all the girls passing by. Then there's this short man who plays the accordian and he does a good job too. These two are the regular ones I see. Then I have seen this poor old woman who just stands close to the wall and 'plays' the harmonica. No tune comes out of it she just blows in and out of the instrument at the same place. The other day a woman was singing this 'heart wrenching' version of Whitney Houston's 'I will always love you'. People come up with all kinds of ideas to pull the crowd. Its either the entire family band playing and singing, or someone street dancing or such. On Friday I saw this guy playing the keyboard...and to make it look more interesting he had got 4-5 dolls playing different musical intruments and moving their hips in a mechanical motion. That was his band.

Workwise things are going great! They have enough work for me to keep occupied for the 8 hrs and not too much to make me sweat it out. In my last job I had hardly enough work so I used to get bored. Thats one of the reason I was able to update my blog so regularly :-).

I will try to post more regularly henceforth. If I am in the blogsville, I normally update myself by reading your posts. If you dont happen to see my comment, please dont mind. Its not that I wasnt there, its just that I couldnt comment or that I will come visiting soon!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me First!! Just like a Gentleman that I am. Always there to comment first...:)

Colors said...

Ricky..True gentlemen read and comment :-P

Anonymous said...

And that I will but True Gentleman also do everything at the right time...;)

So, my right time will come a little late because if I just read it fast, without getting the essence of your post, my comment will reflect that and that's not the right way to do it...is it??

Serendipity said...

so ricky beats me this time...hmph...hehe, anyways, nice post....life of pi is pretty good...and btw, hehe, that 'family that never speaks' part was funny...and whooaa...thas a lotta travelling time....!

Nupur said...

LOL@Ricky. Ricky, post pad ke chup chaap comment karo...kyun itne nakhre karr rahe ho?

Colors - OK...will check my YM. Good to know that you have settled... but really gurl 4 hours!! Isn't that a bit too much? Why don't you find something closer to the city? Chalo...its good to know that the time is not getting wasted.! :P Tell me how it is when you finish. I just started Angels n Demons yesterday.!

Anonymous said...

so uve become a typical new york working girl, have you? long long commutes. i am glad ur liking your job though. is v coming down to visit u soon?

Anonymous said...

ooops...that was ME.
-RS

Anonymous said...

hi colors..
very nice post.. nice observations.. gave a good insight of ur life...

good tat u r enjoyin work.. blog when u can...:) tc

btw in case u r wondering who I m.. this is J.I.

Colors said...

Ricky, hast your right time come yet? :P

Hi Nitty, yes I am so totally engrossed in the book. Am trying hard not to read anytime other than in the bus so that it lasts longer :-)

Hey Nupur no reply to my msg yet? Yes it sure is a hell lotta time. I am trying to find some place closer...but then again I like the family I am currently staying with so am not trying that hard :D. A&D is good..me still have to read DVC :(

Hehe ..of course RS that has to be you! Yes V will be coming some time soon...we have been trying to get a decent flight deal.

Hi JI..so good to see you here! How are you doing? Sorry havent been a good blogger lately. Thanks...yes it is fun..but missing V terribly.

Anonymous said...

haha same story as mine.. i blogged lot, thanks to my previous job.. but my current job is harldy giving em tiem to blog.. :(

so many r caught up in busy web & have to keep blogging aside.... gaurav, me, ricky, u..

Anonymous said...

aaaaah...I know you stopped by 42nd St Grand Central and saw the man with his fantastic puppets! He can really make them dance...absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy New York- it is a fabulous city. I found it very hard to let go of it when i left (still do)...look for a sublet in town while you work there- you get to appreciate the city a lot more when you live in Manhattan! Lots of students- NYU and Columbia who wil be willing to sublet you a room/apt for not too much by New York standards (of course, if you arent paying anything by way of rent to the folks u are staying with...stay there & save money for later explorations of NYC). DOnt miss Summer stage at Central Park- free shakespeare or the New York Aquarium..

Gaurav said...

Hi Colors...
Nice to see ur updated blog after a long time!
Good that u are enjoying work..I can understand..sometimes u are just too bogged down by work to comment!
Okie..U are allowed to be a passive reader to all our blogs till the time u are out of loads of work!

Anonymous said...

Nakhre kar ke post karne ka alag he mazaa hain Nupur...;)

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am here FINALLY!!

See, I told you na that NY city is enough for you to write a new blog every week. It's the most happening city, with most interesting people from around the world.

I am glad you are enjoying "Life of Pi". It's an awesome read, although it's not for everyone.

You have a really investigative-eye...LOL.

Anyways, enjoy your work. It's good that you are busy, keeps you outta trouble...:P. Take care.

Deepak Jeswal said...

Phew, thank god its working today ... yesterday the form below (which has the button 'login and publish') had gone on its own trip...

Haanji, toh maze kar rahe ho NY mein ... good good ... keep enjoying and keep giving us these tidbits...

And just noticed how the world is sometimes the same despite being so different - ur bus journey is quite same in texture to the local train journeys that mumbaikars do every day, isnt it?

Anonymous said...

cool!! hey Colors write some more about the people whom you meet in the bus.. that would make interesting read!

Moonie
http://moonietheloonie.rediffblogs.com/

Anonymous said...

I really like this post. It's good observation in deed quite a different than your usual post :).

So you stared to see around to get spices and colours for your blog. Good. Keep it up.

Sorry for coming late and posting :). Hope you didn't mind :D

:) Silky Moon

Anonymous said...

hi. my first time here. came thru DJ's blog.
nice space u have here. and new city and a new venture for u. anxiety and aspirations hand in hand.
but then, soon anxiety will go off...and brighter n better things will come.
and good luck with ur studies.

Colors said...

Hi Chandu..nice to see u here after a long time. So hows ur new job going on?

Hey Princess, :-) I was expecting you would know what I am talking about :-). Yeah..i would v much like to live in the city itself. Havent looked around much.I will keep getting back to you for more tips on shows etc in the city.

Hey Gaurav, :-) I am expecting myself to be more regular from next week.

Hi RickyLife of Pi was indeed a lovely read..and now thats its over I wanted to talk abt it with you. Maybe kisi fursat ke time pe.

Colors said...

Hey DJ, really appreciate u coming back just to comment. Indeed people often refer to Mumbai as NY of India. I have known quite a few Mumbaites to feel delighted and 'at home' when they come visit NY

Hi Moonie...sigh I am trying to...i'll write some..soon

Hey Ms SM, this is ur 1st comment in my blog in ur new avatar :-). Thanks for liking the post. No worries about being late...I am more late replying :-)

Hello Vicky, welcome!U r right, the anxiety is gradually easing out...and things do feel better. Thanks so much for ur wishes!